Board of Directors and Advisory Committee
Focusing on the intersection of public health and midwifery to address healthcare disparities and to engender a more equitable maternity care system for all women and infants, we are building a community network to create happy, healthy mothers and newborns. We are a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization, public charity 509 (a) (2).
We currently have openings for two board members and two officers: a Treasurer and a Secretary. Please contact us to apply.
We promote evidence-based, Mother-Baby Friendly maternity care. We believe the philosophical cornerstones of Mother-Friendly care to be as outlined by Coalition for Improving Maternity Services in The Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative (MFCI).
About Our Board of Directors & Advisory Committee
Our Board of Directors and Advisory Committee are professionals from various fields including midwifery, medicine, public health, social services, education, medical anthropology, public administration, non-profit management, medical law, etc, who are willing to dedicate time, talent to ensure that our mission is realized. We also have consumers of midwifery and/or doula care on our advisory committee. We are a working board, actively involved in fundraising and oversight of the organization.
1. Experience, education and/or training as a Doula, Midwife, Nurse, Physician, Mental Health Practitioner (Psychologist, Social Worker or Therapist specializing in perinatal psychology), community health promoter, public health professional, childbirth educator, lactation consultant/counselor/educator or student pursuing career in Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Family Practice Medicine, Psychology, Anthropology, Midwifery, Public Health, Nursing, Labor and/or Lactation Support, and related disciplines.
2. Personal experience as a recipient of midwifery and/or doula care and/or philosophical belief in the 4 principles outlined by the Coalition for Improving Maternity Services: autonomy, responsibility, empowerment and do no harm.
3. Knowledge or experience with issues related to health equity and ethnic perinatal health disparities, quality of life issues impacting perinatal health upon disadvantaged families;
4. Knowledge of maternal-child health, obstetrics, gynecology, midwifery, lactation and pediatrics;
5. Work experience in maternal-child health care or mental health services environment; knowledge of health care and social service and mental health delivery systems locally and internationally (particularly in Africa);
6. Community outreach and organizing experience;
7. Knowledge of and respect for cultural and community-based health beliefs and practices;
8. Grant writing, program planning and evaluation, policy development, leadership and fundraising experience;
9. Experience with non-profit management, grant-writing, fund-raising,including fiscal management, accounting processes and reporting requirements;
10. African-American/Black, Latinx or Asian ethnicity with linguistic capabilities in Spanish, French or Asian or African languages highly desirable.
Board Members (2)
If you believe in our vision and mission and are interested in joining our Board of Directors or Advisory Committee, please Contact Us. We currently have openings for 2 board members and 2 officers. The term is for two years and is pro-bono. Persons of color and women are encouraged to apply. The term begins January 2020 through December 2022. We meet quarterly by conference call, and once per year, we meet in person in Los Angeles, California. If interested, please send in the Volunteer Application along with your CV/Resume and a letter of interest.
If you do not have time to be a board member, then we invite you to join our Advisory Committee and offer your expertise to our organization in areas such as legal, medicine, nursing, health education, midwifery, mental health, and more. Please contact us for more information.