Happy Mamas, Healthy Babies
Working for social justice in maternal and child health.
Community-Based Doula Program | Perinatal Support Specialist Training | Professional Learning & Networking
To register for our trainings go to: Eventbrite
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”
– Rob Siltanen
WE ARE HIRING DOULAS!
We are currently accepting applications for our Community-Based Doula Program in Los Angeles County. This project is a collaboration with Health Net and aims to address persistent disparities in African-American birth outcomes through an innovative, grassroots, community-based approach.
Contact Cordelia.Hanna@MotherBabySupport.net for an application and send it with cover letter, resume and other required documents (listed in job announcement). Deadline to apply is October 31, 2018.
Download Job Announcement (PDF) and Application (PDF):
Click here to fill out Doula Application (Attach documents for application here)
WHO WE ARE
The Association for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health (AWMNH) is a community-based 501 (c) (3) non-profit public charity 509 (a) (2) located in Los Angeles, California.
Our board and advisory committee, volunteers and consultants are maternal-child health experts with training and expertise in Doula Support, Childbirth Education, Lactation Counseling, Perinatal Psychology, Medicine, Nursing, Midwifery, and Public Health.
We are perinatal professionals joined together with a common vision to promote maternal and infant health, improve maternity care quality and access, reduce perinatal health disparities and work for social justice in maternal-child health in Los Angeles County.
As catalysts for maternity care reform, we are champions for motherbaby-centered, holistic, respectful care. We aim to improve birth outcomes for disadvantaged mothers and persons and their infants.
We also provide childbirth education for expectant parents and doula support and postpartum care for parents-to-be and new parents through our Community-Based Doula Program. We believe every birthing person should have a Doula, so we offer volunteer and low-cost services. No-one is turned away for inability to pay.
We also sponsor networking and training opportunities for maternity care professionals, including our annual Mother-Friendly Childbirth Symposium, The Birthing Justice Forum, Annual Maternal-Child Health Advocate Awards Recognition, and seminars to support perinatal professional collaboration and continuing education.
The Struggle Ought Not to Deter Us From the Support of a Cause We Believe to Be Just”
To increase access, awareness and availability of MotherBaby-Friendly Maternity Care. We are also committed to social justice in birth.
The Association of Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health focuses on the intersection of public health and midwifery to address health care disparities and to engender a more equitable maternity care system for all women and infants. Our focus areas are:
- Education for Birth Preparation and Cultural Change.
- Advocacy for Maternal-Infant Health Care Policy Reform.
- Expanding Access to MotherBaby-Friendly Maternity Care.
- Working for Social Justice in Maternal and Infant Health.
- As advocates for mothers and babies, we seek to ensure that each mother is treated with dignity and respect during her pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum periods.
- We promote a self-growth approach to pregnancy; which is a special and unique time in a woman’s life.
- We believe each pregnant woman should be surrounded by a loving and supportive community and each baby should be born into the hands of skilled, compassionate and respectful caregivers.
- We protect the MotherBaby dyad whose needs are mutually dependent.
- We are reverent of the sacred nature of birth and are inspired by its potential to transform women, relationships, families, and communities.
- Our intent is to mobilize the perinatal community to implement culturally appropriate wholistic approaches to perinatal health with the goal to improve outcomes and quality of maternity care in all settings: clinics, hospitals, birth centers, and domiciliary settings.
- We are dedicated to helping families have empowering, satisfying and joyous experiences from conception through gestation, childbirth, and early parenthood
Community-Based Doula Program Expansion (January, 2019).
In collaboration with Health Net, we are expanding our Community-Based Doula Program and will be reaching 150+ clients in 2019. We are hiring Doulas and Perinatal Support Specialists and have 10 positions available. Application deadline is October 31, 2018. Interviews held on 11/9 & 11/10, 2018 in South Los Angeles. Learn more.
Perinatal Support Specialist Training & Certification Program (Spring, 2019)
Work as a community perinatal health promoter to improve the health of pregnant women and persons and their infants in your neighborhood. Learn to provide prenatal, childbirth, breastfeeding and postpartum support to expectant and new mothers and newborns. Scholarships & Internships Offered. Applications will be available in December, 2018 for the 2019 Training. Learn More
If you BELIEVE in our Mission:
VOLUNTEER with us…share your time and talents.
Make a DONATION of any amount.
Funding for our Community-Based Doula Program by Health Net.
The Association for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health is a DBA of Wholistic Midwifery School of Southern California. Donations are tax-deductible as we are a 501 (c) (3) non profit organization, 509 (a) (2) public charity. We are qualified to receive tax-deductible. bequests, devises, transfers or gifts under section 2055, 2106 or 2522 of the IRS code.
Want to know more before you donate? Check out our Profile on Guide Star.