Happy Mamas Growing Healthy Babies
COMMUNITY DOULA PROGRAM | DOULA TRAINING & CERTIFICATION PROGRAMS
PROFESSIONAL NETWORKING & CONTINUING EDUCATION WORKSHOPS
Evidence-Based. Trauma-Informed. Celebrating Diversity. Promoting Social Justice.
To register for our trainings go to: Eventbrite
OUR COMMUNITY DOULA PROGRAM NOW ACCEPTING CLIENTS
Birth and Postpartum Doula Support Services are offered to all families on a sliding scale rate. Pregnant women and persons who have Medi-Cal are eligible for free services.
During this time of social distancing due to the coronavirus, we are still offering doula support via telephone and videoconference.
Learn more about the program.
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” (Rob Siltanen)
WHO WE ARE
Happy Mama Healthy Baby Alliance was founded in 2020. HMHBA is a community-based, non-governmental organization located in Los Angeles, California, USA. We are 501 (c) (3) non-profit public charity 509 (a) (2), our IRS name is Wholistic Midwifery School of Southern California, founded in 1993.
We are diverse, multidisciplinary perinatal and mental health professionals united in a common vision to promote maternal/parental and infant health, improve maternity care quality and access, reduce perinatal health disparities and achieve social justice in maternal and infant health. Our training programs and projects are evidence-based, trauma-informed, and celebrate diversity and promote social justice.
We would like give you some information about our new name—which has changed from Association for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health, established in 2010. Our organization has been a training leader of the mental health and social service workforce of Los Angeles servicing mothers, infants and children. We have trained over 380 persons of color to work as perinatal health educators, birth and postpartum Doulas or have enhanced abilities to work with perinatal populations. In 2020, we developed a new strategic plan–which our new name reflects, that includes integration of the latest evidence-based, trauma-informed maternal and infant mental health information into our trainings and community-based programs, highlighting the importance of maternal-parental wellness on child mental and physical health. Our courses are based on a biopsychosocial framework as promoted by leading maternal-child health researchers and teachers such as Dr. Gabor Mate, MD, Dr. Gordon Neufield, Dr. Nils Bergman MD, Dr. Sarah Buckley, MD, and Dr. James McKenna, and more.
HMHBA is focused on improving birth outcomes for all women and birthing persons, with a special emphasis in communities of color who are disproportionately experiencing poor birth outcomes such as high rates of cesarean section, maternal mortality, prematurity, and infant mortality due to structural racism and provider implicit biases.
In addition, we have been a leader in the movement for Birth Equity in Los Angeles County since 2010, convening several conferences and events in collaboration with leading birthing justice advocates and organizations through our Birthing Justice Forum and MCH Advocate Awards Ceremony.
Our Community-Based Doula Program, established in 2010, was one of the first of its kind in Los Angeles County dedicated to African-American/Black and other families of color who are at the highest risk for poor birth outcomes due provider implicit bias and structural racism.
We serve all birthing persons, regardless of their ability to pay, because we believe EVERY family deserves a Doula. Our Doulas are culturally diverse and are members of the communities we serve including Black, Latinx, and LBGTQIA. We speak Spanish, French and African languages.
Our board of directors, advisory committee and consultants are mental and perinatal health experts with training and expertise in Doula Support, midwifery, nursing, pre and perinatal psychology, social work, psychiatry, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, preventative care, global public health, and health education and promotion.
To promote high-quality, family-centered, evidence-based, respectful maternity and newborn care, and improved health outcomes for all childbearing persons and their babies.
Our work focuses on addressing health care disparities and to engendering birthing justice for all pregnant women, persons and their infants. As ethnically diverse, multidisciplinary professionals serving pregnant and parenting families, we offer Doula services, childbirth preparation classes, breastfeeding support, and maternal- infant mental health workshops and support groups.
We also offer professional training, certification, learning and networking opportunities for mental health and perinatal health professionals.
Our focus areas are:
- Training, Certification and Continuing Education Programs for Professionals
- Childbirth Doula and Postpartum Doula Services
- Breastfeeding Support Services
- Promoting Maternal Mental Health and Infant Mental Health
- Engendering Birthing Justice for All Childbearing Persons
- As advocates for families and babies, we seek to ensure that all childbearing persons are treated with dignity and respect during the pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum periods.
- We promote a self-growth approach to pregnancy; which is a special and unique time in a woman’s and a person’s life.
- We believe each pregnant woman or person should be surrounded by a loving and supportive community and each baby should be born into the hands of skilled, compassionate and respectful caregivers.
- We protect the Mother/Baby dyad whose needs are mutually dependent.
- We are reverent of the sacred nature of birth and are inspired by its potential to transform women, relationships, families, and communities.
- We strive to improve birth outcomes for women and infants where perinatal health disparities and inequities exist.
- We aim to improve the quality of maternity and newborn care in all settings.
- We are dedicated to helping families have empowering, satisfying and joyous experiences from conception through gestation, childbirth, and early parenthood.
WHAT WE DO
Community-Based Doula Program & Childbirth Education Classes
Our Community-Based Doula Program serves all families providing childbirth doula support and postpartum care for parents-to-be and new parents. We believe every family should have access to a professional childbirth companion, regardless of income. We work on a sliding scale. No-one is turned away for inability to pay. Services for Medi-Cal eligible are offered.
Community Health Education
- Childbirth education for expectant parents (Private and group classes are available).
- Mother’s and Father’s Support Groups (including groups for LBGTQIA families).
- Prenatal and Postpartum Yoga Workshops
- Sibling Childbirth Preparation
- Family Planning Education/Fertility Awareness Workshops
- Birth Art Therapy Workshops
- Breastfeeding Mother’s Support Groups (Spanish and English)
- Childbirth Preparation Intensive Workshop
- Birth Options and Pre-Conception Counseling
- Mentoring Programs for Pregnant and Parenting Teens
- Becoming a Midwife Consultations
- Film Nights and Lectures for Parents and Professionals
- Panel Discussions and Conferences for Professionals
Professional Training & Certification Programs
- Perinatal Support Specialist Doula Training & Certification Program
- Childbirth Education for Maternal-Child Health Workers
- Heart and Hands Postpartum Doula Training
- Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Training
- Skill-Building Workshops for Student Midwives and Doulas
Professional Collaboration & Consultation
We also provide technical assistance and consultation to agencies, community clinics, physician’s offices, maternal-child health programs, health plans, and hospitals who want to establish Community Doula Programs or need help with their existing Comprehensive Perinatal Services Programs (CPSP) or Prenatal services.
Professional Networking Opportunities
We provide networking and CEU learning opportunities for Midwives, Nurses, Physicians, Doulas, Childbirth Educators, Certified Health Education Specialists, Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, Social Workers, etc.
Conferences and Events
Our events provide opportunities for networking, sharing and cross-disciplinary collaboration. Past events include:
Speakers at our conferences have included leading perinatal professionals:
- Dr. Robbie Davis-Floyd, Ph.D., Cultural and Medical Anthropologist, from the University of TX-Austin, author of Birth As An American Rite of Passage
- Dr. Christine Morton, Ph.D., Medical Sociologist from Stanford University, a researcher on Doula Support.
- Dr. Sarah Buckley, MD, researcher and author of Undisturbed Birth, about the hormonal blueprint for safe and satisfying childbirth.
- Dr. Julia Chinyere Oparah, a Sociology researcher at Mills College, author of #BattlingOverBirth, a human rights report and social media campaign based on a five-year-long participatory action research project about Black women’s experiences of pregnancy and childbirth in California.
International Birth Worker Cultural Exchange Program
In this program, birth workers from Africa and America participate in a cross-cultural exchange program and learning collaborative, to experience birth practices in a foreign country, and receive valuable skill-building training.
OUR COMMUNITY PARTNERS: PAST AND PRESENT
BELIEVE IN OUR MISSION?
SUPPORT OUR WORK – MAKE A TAX-DEDUCTIBLE DONATION
Healthy Mama Happy Baby Alliance is a DBA of Wholistic Midwifery School of Southern California, a public charity. We are exempt from federal income tax under section 501 (c) 3 of the IRS code. Contributions to our organization are tax-deductible under section 170 of the code. We are qualified to receive tax-deductible requests, devises, transfers or gifts under section 2055, 2106 or 2522 of the code.
Want to Learn More Before You Donate? Check us out on Guidestar. Our EIN is 95-445-1418