Promoting Happy Mamas and Healthy Babies
COMMUNITY-BASED DOULA PROGRAM | PERINATAL SUPPORT SPECIALIST DOULA TRAINING | NETWORKING & CONTINUING EDUCATION
To register for our trainings go to: Eventbrite
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” (Rob Siltanen)
OUR COMMUNITY DOULA PROGRAM NOW ACCEPTING CLIENTS
HAPPY MAMA HEALTHY BABY COMMUNITY DOULA PROGRAM
Birth and Postpartum Doula Support Services are offered on a sliding scale rate. Pregnant women who have Medi-Cal are eligible for free services. To refer someone or enroll, email us, or fill out our Expectant Parent Inquiry Form, or call (626) 388-2191 ( Ext 1). Learn more about the program.
HEALTH NET COMMUNITY DOULA PROGRAM
As of December 13th, 2019, we are no longer managing the Health Net Community Doula Program. We are no longer accepting clients for this program. Inquiries should be directed to: Dr. Pooja Mittal, MD at (510) 507-0792 for more information.
WHO WE ARE
Happy Mama Healthy Baby Alliance a DBA of The Associaton for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health, is a community-based, multicultural organization located in Los Angeles, California. We are 501 (c) (3) non-profit public charity 509 (a) (2).
We are multicultural, multidisciplinary perinatal professionals joined together with a common vision to promote maternal and infant health, improve maternity care quality and access, reduce perinatal health disparities and achieve social justice in maternal and infant health for all persons.
Our board of directors, advisory committee and consultants are perinatal health experts with training and expertise in Doula Support, midwifery, nursing, childbirth education, lactation counseling, pre and perinatal psychology, therapeutic play therapy, prenatal yoga, preventative medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics and family medicine, social work, maternal-fetal medicine, health education and promotion and public health.
To increase access, awareness, and availability of MotherBaby-Friendly Maternity Care. We are also committed to social justice in maternity care, in order to improve birth outcomes for all women, persons and their newborns.
Our work focuses on the intersection of public health and midwifery to address health care disparities and to engender a more equitable maternity care system for all women and infants. Our focus areas are:
- Health Education for Childbirth, Breastfeeding, Postpartum and Parenting
- Training, Certification and Continuing Education Programs
- Community-Based Childbirth and Postpartum Doula Program
- Engendering Social Justice in Maternal & Infant Health
- As advocates for mothers and babies, we seek to ensure that all childbearing persons are treated with dignity and respect during the pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum periods.
- We promote a self-growth approach to pregnancy; which is a special and unique time in a woman’s and a person’s life.
- We believe each pregnant woman or person should be surrounded by a loving and supportive community and each baby should be born into the hands of skilled, compassionate and respectful caregivers.
- We protect the MotherBaby dyad whose needs are mutually dependent.
- We are reverent of the sacred nature of birth and are inspired by its potential to transform women, relationships, families, and communities.
- We strive to improve birth outcomes for women and infants where perinatal health disparities and inequities exist.
- We aim to improve the quality of maternity and newborn care in all settings.
- We are dedicated to helping families have empowering, satisfying and joyous experiences from conception through gestation, childbirth, and early parenthood.
WHAT WE DO
Community-Based Doula Program & Childbirth Education Classes
Our Community-Based Doula Program serves low to moderate-income families providing childbirth doula support and postpartum care for parents-to-be and new parents. We believe every family should have access to a professional childbirth companion, regardless of income. We work on a sliding scale and on a voluntary basis free of charge. No-one is turned away for inability to pay.
Community Health Education
We provide childbirth education for expectant parents . Classes are free for those with Medi-Cal. Private and group classes are available. We also offer mother’s and father’s support groups, sibling childbirth preparation, family planning education/fertility awareness workshops, HIV & STD prevention classes, birth options and pre-conception counseling and programs for teens.
Professional Training & Certification Programs
- Perinatal Support Specialist Doula Training & Certification Program
- Heart and Hands Postpartum Doula Training
Professional Collaboration & Consultation
We also provide technical assistance and consultation to agencies, community clinics, physician’s offices, maternal-child health programs, health plans, and hospitals who want to establish Community Doula Programs or need help with their existing CPSP or Prenatal services.
Professional Networking Opportunities
We provide networking and CEU learning opportunities for Midwives, Nurses, Physicians, Doulas, Childbirth Educators, Certified Health Education Specialists, Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, etc.
Conferences and Events
Our events provide opportunities for networking, sharing and cross-disciplinary collaboration. Past events include:
Speakers at our conferences have included leading perinatal professionals:
- Dr. Robbie Davis-Floyd, Ph.D., Cultural and Medical Anthropologist, from University of TX-Austin, author of Birth As An American Rite of Passage
- Dr. Christine Morton, Ph.D., Medical Sociologist from Stanford University, researcher on Doula Support.
- Dr. Sarah Buckley, MD, researcher and author of Undisturbed Birth, about the hormonal blueprint for safe and satisfying childbirth.
- Dr. Julia Chinyere Oparah, a Sociology researcher at Mills College, author of #BattlingOverBirth, a human rights report and social media campaign based on a five-year-long participatory action research project about Black women’s experiences of pregnancy and childbirth in California.
International Birth Worker Cultural Exchange Program
In this program, birth workers from Africa and America participate in a cross-cultural exchange program and learning collaborative, to experience birth practices in a foreign country, and receive valuable skill-building training.
OUR COMMUNITY PARTNERS: PAST AND PRESENT
BELIEVE IN OUR MISSION?
SUPPORT OUR WORK – MAKE A TAX-DEDUCTIBLE DONATION
Healthy Mama Happy Baby Alliance is a DBA of The Association for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health, a public charity. We are exempt from federal income tax under section 501 (c) 3 of the IRS code. Contributions to our organization are tax-deductible under section 170 of the code. We are qualified to receive tax-deductible requests, devises, transfers or gifts under section 2055, 2106 or 2522 of the code.
Want to Learn More Before You Donate? Check us out on Guidestar. Our EIN is 95-445-1418