Promoting Happy Mamas and Healthy Babies
Community-Based Doula Program | Perinatal Support Specialist Training | Professional Learning & Networking
To register for our trainings go to: Eventbrite
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” (Rob Siltanen)
OUR COMMUNITY DOULA PROGRAM NOW ACCEPTING CLIENTS
Happy Mama Healthy Baby Community Doula Program
Birth and Postpartum Doula Support Services are offered on a sliding scale rate. Pregnant women who have Medi-Cal are eligible for free services. To refer someone or enroll, email us, or fill out our Expectant Parent Inquiry Form, or call (626) 388-2191 ( Ext 1). Learn more about the program.
Health Net Community Doula Program
As of December 13th, we are no longer managing the Health Net Community Doula Program. Contact Dr. Pooja Mittal at Health Net for more information.
WHO WE ARE
Happy Mama Healthy Baby Alliance is a community-based, multicultural organization located in Los Angeles, California. We are 501 (c) (3) non-profit public charity 509 (a) (2).
We are multicultural, multidisciplinary perinatal professionals joined together with a common vision to promote maternal and infant health, improve maternity care quality and access, reduce perinatal health disparities and achieve social justice in maternal and infant health for all persons.
Our board of directors, advisory committee and consultants are perinatal health experts with training and expertise in Doula Support, childbirth education, lactation counseling, pre and perinatal psychology, preventative medicine, maternity and newborn nursing, obstetrics and gynecology, maternal-fetal medicine, midwifery, health education and promotion and public health.
To increase access, awareness, and availability of MotherBaby-Friendly Maternity Care. We are also committed to social justice in maternity care, in order to improve birth outcomes for all women, persons and their newborns.
The Association of Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health focuses on the intersection of public health and midwifery to address health care disparities and to engender a more equitable maternity care system for all women and infants. Our focus areas are:
- Community Education for Childbirth, Breastfeeding, Postpartum and Parenting
- Training, Certification and Continuing Education for the Perinatal Professions
- Community-Based Childbirth and Postpartum Doula and Lactation Support
- Addressing Perinatal Health Inequities and Disparities
- Engendering social justice through maternal-infant health care policy reform
WHAT WE DO
As catalysts for maternity care reform, we are champions for mothers and infants, We promote client-centered, holistic, respectful care for all childbearing persons. We strive to improve birth outcomes and quality of care for all childbearing persons and their infants.
Childbirth Education and Doula Support Services
Our Community-Based Doula Program serves low to moderate-income families who have Medi-Cal. We provide childbirth education for expectant parents and doula support and postpartum care for parents-to-be and new parents. We believe every family should have access to a
Access to Doula support is limited for low-income families and Medi-Cal recipients, we offer volunteer and low-cost Doula support. We work on a sliding Scale. No-one is turned away for inability to pay. We speak Spanish and we are from diverse cultural backgrounds.
We offer prenatal, childbirth and lactation and postpartum Doula support, offered by Community-Based Doulas and Breastfeeding Peer Counselors. Se Habla Espanol.
Professional Training & Networking Opportunities
We also sponsor networking and training opportunities for mental health, social service and maternal/child health professionals through our training and certification programs and continuing education opportunities for Midwives, Nurses, Physicians, Doulas, Childbirth Educators, Certified Health Education Specialists, etc.
Conferences and Events
Our events include The Mother-Friendly Childbirth Symposium, The Birthing Justice Forum and Annual Maternal-Child Health Advocate Awards Recognition, and film screenings & discussions, seminars which provide opportunities for networking, sharing and cross-disciplinary collaboration.Our organizational partners (past and present) include California Latinas for Reproductive Justice, Esperanza Community Housing Corporation, California Nurse-Midwives Association and Black Women Birthing Justice
Speakers at our conferences have included leading perinatal professionals including Dr. Robbie Davis-Floyd, Ph.D., Cultural and Medical Anthropologist, Dr. Christine Morton, Ph.D., Medical Sociologist from Stanford University, Dr. Sarah Buckley, MD, researcher and author of Undisturbed Birth, and Dr. Julia Chinyere Oparah, Sociology researcher at Mills College, author of #BattlingOverBirth, a human rights report and social media campaign based on a five-year-long participatory action research project about Black women’s experiences of pregnancy and childbirth in California.
Birth Worker Cultural Exchange Program
We have a cross-cultural exchange program for African and American birth workers to learn about childbirth practices cross-culturally and share learning opportunities to enhance birth worker skills.
- As advocates for mothers and babies, we seek to ensure that all childbearing persons are treated with dignity and respect duringthe pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum periods.
- We promote a self-growth approach to pregnancy; which is a special and unique time in a woman’s and a person’s life.
- We believe each pregnant woman or person should be surrounded by a loving and supportive community and each baby should be born into the hands of skilled, compassionate and respectful caregivers.
- We protect the MotherBaby dyad whose needs are mutually dependent.
- We are reverent of the sacred nature of birth and are inspired by its potential to transform women, relationships, families, and communities.
- Our intent is to mobilize the perinatal community to implement culturally-relevant approaches to perinatal health promotion.
- We strive to improve birth outcomes and quality of maternity and newborn care in all settings: clinics, hospitals, birth centers, and domiciliary settings.
- We are dedicated to helping families have empowering, satisfying and joyous experiences from conception through gestation, childbirth, and early parenthood.
BELIEVE IN OUR MISSION?
SUPPORT OUR WORK – MAKE A TAX-DEDUCTIBLE DONATION
The Healthy Mama Happy Baby Alliance is a DBA of The Association for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health, a public charity. We are exempt from federal income tax under section 501 (c) 3 of the IRS code. Contributions to our organization are tax-deductible under section 170 of the code. We are qualified to receive tax-deductible requests, devises, transfers or gifts under section 2055, 2106 or 2522 of the code.
Want to Learn More Before You Donate? Check us out on Guidestar. Our EIN is 95-445-1418