Breastfeeding Education Class
BREAST IS BEST BREASTFEEDING EDUCATION CLASS
Breastfeeding your baby is one of the best things you can do for yourself and your child in terms of your health and the health your child. You may have many questions about how to get prepared to breastfeed, how your breasts make milk, and how to deal with common problems such as sore nipples or low milk supply. This class will answer all your questions and you will learn more about breastfeeding than you knew was possible!
ABOUT THE CLASS
This is a three-week series of classes; that meet for 2 hours per session, currently being taught on zoom until further notice due to COVID-19. This class can also be taught one-on-one in private sessions by our team in your home or over Zoom. We can provide instruction in Spanish upon request.
DATES OF NEXT SERIES
Please contact us at Elsie.Gutierrez@motherbabysupport.net or call (626) 388-2191 ext. 2
COST OF CLASS
The fee is $300.00 for a 3-week series of classes. $150.00 for low income. Free for Medi-Cal.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
In this class, you will learn about:
- Benefits of Breastfeeding for Mother, Baby, Partner and Society
- How Grandmothers & Partners Can Support Breastfeeding Mothers
- How your breasts make milk
- How your breastmilk changes to meet the needs of your growing baby
- Preparations for Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding in the Hospital
- Common Myths and Realities of Breastfeeding
- Skin-to-Skin contact with your Baby
- Mother and Baby Positioning
- Getting Your Baby Latched on Properly
- How to Know if Baby is getting Enough Milk
- Baby’s Weight Gain
- Stool and Urine Patterns
- Kangaroo Mothercare
- Safe Co-Family Sleeping Guidelines
- SIDS Prevention
- Avoiding Artificial Baby Milk & Artificial Nipples
- Pumping and Storage of Breastmilk
- Hand Expression of Breastmilk
- Dealing with Common Problems:
- Blocked Ducts
- Sore & Cracked Nipples
- Breastfeeding in Special Situations:
- Adoptive Nursing
- Chest Feeding
- Premature Babies & Breastfeeding in the NICU
- Breastfeeding Twins & Multiples
- Resources for Breastfeeding Help
IF YOU NEED ADDITIONAL HELP
Our Lactation Counselors are available to provide one-on-one breastfeeding consultation in your home or over Zoom, Whatsapp, FaceTime, etc. to help with common problems such as inverted nipples, low milk supply, sore nipples, etc.
This class will be taught by our doulas who are also Certified Lactation Educator-Counselors or Breastfeeding Peer Counselors, or IBCLC’s in training.
QUESTIONS? WANT TO ENROLL?
Elsie Gutierrez, MPH, Manager of Community Programs
(626) 388-2191 ext. 2