Happy Mama Healthy Baby Postpartum Doula Program
Happy Mamas Growing Healthy Babies
POSTPARTUM DOULA SUPPORT AND BREASTFEEDING SUPPORT FOR LOS ANGELES FAMILIES
PARENTS, DID YOU USE ONE OF OUR DOULAS? PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO TELL US ABOUT HER SERVICES!
PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM:
TO ENROLL OR GET INFORMATION
PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM:
MEET OUR DOULA PROGRAM COORDINATOR ELSIE GUTIERREZ, MPH
Se Habla Espanol
Call Elsie: (626) 388-2191 (ext. 2)
E-Mail: Elsie Gutierrez, MPH
RSVP for MEET THE DOULA NIGHT
LIVE ON ZOOM
SUNDAY, JULY 12TH, 3:00-5:00 PM PST
Free of Charge | All pregnant or new mothers, fathers and their partners are welcome. RSVP required.
Our Doulas work on a sliding scale because we believe EVERY family deserves a Doula. Low-income persons and those with Medi-Cal may receive volunteer Doula Support. However, If you have the ability to pay a little (or a lot) more, this will enable our Doulas to continue to reach underserved and hard-to-reach pregnant teenagers and women to provide them with pregnancy care, labor support, breastfeeding support, and postpartum care.
PAY FOR POSTPARTUM DOULA SERVICES
Pay by Check
Make checks payable to “HMHBA”. Send checks to:
Happy Mama Healthy Baby Alliance
600 Lincoln Ave., #92495
Pasadena, CA 91109
Pay by Card
Please use the pull-down menu below to select your choice: then select “ADD TO CART” button. You will be taken to PayPal’s secure site, where you can pay using your PayPal account (if you do not have a PayPal account you can set one up in minutes).
PAPA JOSEPH’S EXPERIENCE WITH HAPPY MAMA HEALTHY BABY ALLIANCE’S POSTPARTUM DOULAS
THE ROLE OF THE POSTPARTUM DOULA
Postpartum Doulas care for new mothers and newborns immediately after birth up to 8 weeks postpartum. They provide non-medical support for newborns and mothers and provide emotional support, household assistance, newborn care, breastfeeding support, and promote newborn and parental attachment and bonding.
The Postpartum Doula may also help with meal preparation and household duties such as baby laundry.
Doulas are not medical or midwifery providers and do not perform any clinical skills such as newborn or maternal medical exams. They do not make any medical decisions.
The Postpartum Doula’s role is to empower, educate, nurture and protect new mothers and babies so they can bond and rest after childbirth and adjust to parenthood during the first two months.
ABOUT OUR PROGRAM
- Our organization has been providing free and low-cost Doula support in Los Angeles County since 2010.
- We provide new graduate Doulas with the opportunity to gain birth experiences that are required for certification while serving low-income families.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Any family in Los Angeles County, San Berardino or Riverside County is welcome to participate.
- We serve families of all ethnic backgrounds, gender identities, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic levels.
- We work on a sliding scale because we believe EVERY family deserves a Doula.
- Families who are low-income or have Medi-Cal may be eligible for volunteer Doula support.
ABOUT OUR DOULAS
- We are a diverse team of Doulas who come from varied cultural backgrounds. Our ages range from 21 to 75. We speak Spanish, French and African languages.
- We are here to help all families have stress-free and joyous postpartum experiences and to promote bonding with the newborn.
- Our doulas’ experience levels range from new grads to seasoned Doulas.
- In addition, our Doulas have a variety of educational backgrounds and certifications in childbirth education, lactation counseling, massage therapy, social work, public health, and other disciplines.
WHAT IS THE COST?
- Professional Postpartum Doula services are available for half-day, full-day, overnight and weekly rates. Half-day rate is $200 (4 hours). The full-day rate is $400 (8 hours), the overnight rate is $500 (10:00 pm to 6:00 am), and the weekly rate is $1,800/week.
- Low-income families and those who have Medi-Cal are eligible for free/reduced rate services by Volunteer Doulas. We do not turn anyone away for inability to pay; because every family deserves a Postpartum Doula.
WHAT POSTPARTUM DOULAS DO
Provide Emotional Support
Provide Physical Comfort
- Suggest methods for healing of perineum
- Suggest comfort measures for postpartum Afterpains, sweating, breast soreness, etc.
- Provide mother with support for breastfeeding baby
- Massage mother and/or teach infant massage
- Utilize aromatherapy for relaxation
Advocate & Educate
- Help client communicate with doctors and nurses
- Educates about risks and benefits of newborn procedures (circumcision, Newborn Screen Test, etc.)
- Teach how to manage breastfeeding
- Teach how to diaper, swaddle, soothe, and bathe newborn
- Educate on how to know if baby is getting enough breastmilk
- Explain what the doctor, midwife or nurse wants to do and why
- Inform clients of risks and benefits of newborn medical decisions
- Encourages informed decision-making regarding their baby’s care
- Encourages Informed Consent and Refusal when making medical decisions
- Help the client and her partner decide what they want to do
- Provides language interpretation if needed
- Encourages Client’s Religious/Spiritual Practices
- Advocates for Respect of Client’s Cultural Traditions
- Protects Client Privacy and Intimacy
- Ensure each mamababy is treated with kindness, dignity and respect
Recognize & Refer
Doula will educate client and refer to primary medical provider if there are:
- Danger signs of postpartum woman
- Danger signs in the newborn
In addition, Postpartum Doulas:
- Help with meal preparation & baby laundry
- Encourages mother to rest so she can recover from childbirth
- Encourages parents to reflect on their childbirth experience
- Encourages parents to find support if they are feeling sad and blue
- Connects families to resources they need (i.e., breastfeeding support groups, prenatal yoga, etc.)
OTHER SERVICES OFFERED