Happy Mama Healthy Baby Postpartum Doula Program
Happy Mamas Growing Healthy Babies
POSTPARTUM DOULA SUPPORT AND BREASTFEEDING SUPPORT FOR NEW FAMILIES
Our Community Partner
PARENTS, DID YOU USE ONE OF OUR DOULAS? PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO TELL US ABOUT HER SERVICES!
PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM:
TO ENROLL OR GET INFORMATION PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM:
Go here to learn more about our Doulas.
MEET OUR DOULA PROGRAM COORDINATOR:
J. TRANAE, BS, CD, CPD, CCE
Call J. Tranae at: (626) 388-2191 (ext. 2)
Email: J. Tranae
We believe EVERY family deserves a Doula. Families who are Medi-Cal eligible may receive free services. We also offer sliding-scale rates. However, If you have the ability to pay a little (or a lot) more, this will enable our Doulas to continue to reach underserved and hard-to-reach pregnant people such as teenagers, refugees, and unhoused women to provide them with pregnancy care, labor support, breastfeeding support, and postpartum care.
NOURISHING ROOTS POSTPARTUM DOULA PROGRAM NOW ENROLLING CLIENTS
ATTENTION AFRICAN-AMERICAN FAMILIES: YOU CAN RECEIVE A POSTPARTUM DOULA FREE OF CHARGE!
We are excited to announce that we have obtained a grant by LA Care, Generating African American Infant and Nurturers’ Survival Initiative (GAAINS) to expand our Postpartum Doula Program. We are excited to announce the launch of NURTURING ROOTS POSTPARTUM DOULA PROGRAM.
Through this funding, Happy Mama Healthy Baby Doulas will be able to provide in-home postpartum care to Black families by Black Doulas,” said Carla Michael, Program Manager at HMHBA.
“Our goal is to decrease the risk of postpartum depression, maternal mortality and infant mortality, which is sadly, significantly higher among African-Americans,” said Cordelia Hanna, Executive Director of HMHBA.
“The program will begin accepting clients in October 2023 and each family can receive 24 hours of postpartum support,” Michael said.
To learn more, contact Carla.Michael@motherbabysupport.net. or Call her at (626) 388-2191 ext. 3
WHAT IS THE COST OF POSTPARTUM CARE?
Professional Postpartum Doula services are available for half-day, full-day, overnight and weekly and monthly rates.
Postpartum Doula Support Rates
Postpartum Doula Support is offered on an half-day, full-day, weekly, or monthly rate. Postpartum Doula support can begin as early as 72-hours after the birth through 8-weeks postpartum.
- Half-Day Rate (4 hours): $200
- Full-Day Rate (8 hours): $400
- Overnight Rate (8 hours): $500 (10:00 pm to 6:00 am OR 11:00 pm to 7:00 am)
- Weekly Rate: $1,800 (8 hours per day for 7 days)
- Monthly Rate (24/7): $9,500 (7 days/week, 24 hours/day for 30 days)
Choose your own price from the dropdown menu!
Make checks payable to “AWMNH”. Send checks to:
Happy Mama Healthy Baby Alliance
600 Lincoln Ave., Unit #92495
Pasadena, CA 91109
Low-income families and those who have Medi-Cal are eligible for free/reduced rate services by Volunteer Doulas. We do not turn anyone away for inability to pay; because every family deserves a Postpartum Doula.
PAPA JOSEPH’S EXPERIENCE WITH HAPPY MAMA HEALTHY BABY ALLIANCE’S POSTPARTUM DOULAS
THE ROLE OF THE POSTPARTUM DOULA
Postpartum Doulas care for new mothers and newborns immediately after birth up to 8 weeks postpartum. They provide non-medical support for newborns and mothers and provide emotional support, household assistance, newborn care, breastfeeding support, and promote newborn and parental attachment and bonding.
The Postpartum Doula may also help with meal preparation and household duties such as baby laundry.
Doulas are not medical or midwifery providers and do not perform any clinical skills such as newborn or maternal medical exams. They do not make any medical decisions.
The Postpartum Doula’s role is to empower, educate, nurture and protect new mothers and babies so they can bond and rest after childbirth and adjust to parenthood during the first two months.
ABOUT OUR PROGRAM
- Our organization has been providing free and low-cost Doula support in Los Angeles County since 2010.
- Our founder established the very first community-based Doula program in Los Angeles County at Pasadena Public Health Department Black Infant Health Program which she ran from 2002-2012.
- We provide new graduate Doulas with the opportunity to gain birth and postpartum experiences that are required for certification while serving low-income families.
- Through funding received by LA Care, Generating African American Infant and Nurturers’ Survival Initiative (GAAINS) expands our Postpartum Doula Program to give low-income African-American families Postpartum Doula in-home supportive services, up to 24 hours per family, free of charge.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Any family in Los Angeles County is welcome to participate.
- We serve families of all ethnic backgrounds, gender identities, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic levels.
- We have a special program for low-income African-American families who can receive up to 24-hours of postpartum in-home doula services free of charge by an African-American Certified Postpartum Doula, if they are currently living in Los Angeles County, receiving Medi-Cal or are living 100% below the federal poverty line.
- We work on a sliding scale or provide volunteer services because we believe EVERY family deserves a Doula.
- Families who are low-income or have Medi-Cal are eligible for volunteer Postpartum Doula Support or reduced fees.
ABOUT OUR DOULAS
- We are a diverse team of Doulas who come from varied cultural backgrounds. We are Black, Latinx, Caucasian, Immigrants and LBGTQIA+ we serve people from the communities we come from. Our ages range from 20-62. We speak Spanish, French, Arabic and African Languages.
- We are here to help all families have stress-free and joyous postpartum experiences and to promote bonding with the newborn.
- Our doulas’ experience levels range from new grads to seasoned Doulas.
- In addition, our Doulas have a variety of educational backgrounds and certifications in childbirth education, lactation counseling, yoga, placenta encapsulation, Reiki energy healing, massage therapy, social work, public health, and other disciplines.
WHAT POSTPARTUM DOULAS OFFER
- Suggest methods for healing of perineum
- Suggest comfort measures for postpartum Afterpains, sweating, breast soreness, etc.
- Provide mother with support for breastfeeding baby
- Massage mother and/or teach infant massage
- Utilize aromatherapy for relaxation
Advocacy & Education
- Help client communicate with doctors and nurses
- Educates about risks and benefits of newborn procedures (circumcision, Newborn Screen Test, etc.)
- Teach how to manage breastfeeding
- Teach how to diaper, swaddle, soothe, and bathe newborn
- Educate on how to know if baby is getting enough breastmilk
- Explain what the doctor, midwife or nurse wants to do and why
- Inform clients of risks and benefits of newborn medical decisions
- Encourages informed decision-making regarding their baby’s care
- Encourages Informed Consent and Refusal when making medical decisions
- Help the client and her partner decide what they want to do
- Provides language interpretation if needed
- Encourages Client’s Religious/Spiritual Practices
- Advocates for Respect of Client’s Cultural Traditions
- Protects Client Privacy and Intimacy
- Ensure each mamababy is treated with kindness, dignity and respect
Recognize & Refer
Doula will educate client and refer to primary medical provider if there are:
- Danger signs of postpartum woman
- Danger signs in the newborn
In addition, Postpartum Doulas:
- Help with meal preparation & baby laundry
- Encourages mother to rest so she can recover from childbirth
- Encourages parents to reflect on their childbirth experience
- Encourages parents to find support if they are feeling sad and blue
- Connects families to resources they need (i.e., breastfeeding support groups, prenatal yoga, etc.)
OTHER SERVICES OFFERED
Thinking about placentophagy (eating your placenta)? We offer placenta encapsulation services. Pick up and delivery available.