Happy Mama Healthy Baby Postpartum Doula Program
Happy Mamas Growing Healthy Babies
POSTPARTUM DOULA SUPPORT AND BREASTFEEDING SUPPORT FOR LOS ANGELES FAMILIES
PARENTS, DID YOU USE ONE OF OUR DOULAS? PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO TELL US ABOUT HER SERVICES! PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM:
All pregnant women and their partners are invited to attend our
ONLINE EVENT: MEET THE DOULA NIGHT
SUNDAY, MAY 3RD FROM 3-5 PM. ONLINE ON ZOOM.
This event is free. RSVP required by May 1st to: email@example.com or call (626) 388-2191 ext. 2.
We will notify all RSVPs of the login information.
ENROLL OR GET INFORMATION
Complete: Parent Inquiry Form
ABOUT OUR PROGRAM
We have been providing free and low-cost Doula support in Los Angeles County since 2010. We provide new graduate Doulas with the opportunity to gain birth experiences that are required for certification while serving low-income families. Our team also is comprised of very experienced Doulas who serve higher-risk clientele or families seeking advanced Doula support.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Any family in Los Angeles County is welcome to participate. We serve families of all ethnic backgrounds, gender identities, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic levels. Low-income families and those with Medi-Cal can receive Doula support free of charge by a volunteer Doula.
ABOUT OUR DOULAS
We are a diverse team of Doulas who come from varied cultural backgrounds. We speak Spanish, French and African languages. Our doulas’ experience levels range from new grads to seasoned Doulas. In addition, our Doulas have a variety of educational backgrounds and certifications in childbirth education, lactation counseling, massage therapy, social work, public health, and other disciplines.
WHAT IS THE COST?
Professional Postpartum Doula services are available for half-day, full-day, overnight and weekly rates. Half-day rate is $200 (4 hours). The full-day rate is $400 (8 hours), the overnight rate is $500 (10:00 pm to 6:00 am), and the weekly rate is $18,000. Families who have Medi-Cal are eligible for free services by Volunteer Doulas. We do not turn anyone away for inability to pay; because every family deserves a Postpartum Doula.
THE ROLE OF THE POSTPARTUM DOULA
Postpartum Doulas care for new mothers and newborns immediately after birth up to 8 weeks postpartum. They provide non-medical support for newborns and mothers and provide emotional support, household assistance, newborn care, breastfeeding support and promote newborn and parental attachment and bonding. The Postpartum Doula may also help with meal preparation and household duties such as baby laundry. Doulas are not medical or midwifery providers and do not perform any clinical skills such as newborn or maternal medical exams. They do not make any medical decisions. The Postpartum Doula’s role is to empower, educate, nurture and protect new mothers and babies so they can bond and rest after childbirth and adjust to parenthood during the first two months.
WHAT POSTPARTUM DOULAS DO
Provide Emotional Support
Provide Physical Comfort
- Suggest methods for healing of perineum
- Suggest comfort measures for postpartum Afterpains, sweating, breast soreness, etc.
- Provide mother with support for breastfeeding baby
- Massage mother and/or teach infant massage
- Utilize aromatherapy for relaxation
Advocate & Educate
- Help client communicate with doctors and nurses
- Educates about risks and benefits of newborn procedures (circumcision, Newborn Screen Test, etc.)
- Teach how to manage breastfeeding
- Teach how to diaper, swaddle, soothe, and bathe newborn
- Educate on how to know if baby is getting enough breastmilk
- Explain what the doctor, midwife or nurse wants to do and why
- Inform clients of risks and benefits of newborn medical decisions
- Encourages informed decision-making regarding their baby’s care
- Encourages Informed Consent and Refusal when making medical decisions
- Help the client and her partner decide what they want to do
- Provides language interpretation if needed
- Encourages Client’s Religious/Spiritual Practices
- Advocates for Respect of Client’s Cultural Traditions
- Protects Client Privacy and Intimacy
- Ensure each mamababy is treated with kindness, dignity and respect
Recognize & Refer
Doula will educate client and refer to primary medical provider if there are:
- Danger signs of postpartum woman
- Danger signs in the newborn
In addition, Postpartum Doulas:
- Help with meal preparation & baby laundry
- Encourages mother to rest so she can recover from childbirth
- Encourages parents to reflect on their childbirth experience
- Encourages parents to find support if they are feeling sad and blue
- Connects families to resources they need (i.e., breastfeeding support groups, prenatal yoga, etc.)
OTHER SERVICES OFFERED
Motherwit Circle: A Mother’s Support Group
This is a group facilitated by a health educator and licensed mental health professional. Pregnant women and mothers with a newborn to 6 months of age babies are invited to attend to share fears, concerns, joys, trials and tribulations of motherhood in a non-judgemental, safe and intimate space for all women.
Father’s Discussion and Support Group
Fathers are invited to a monthly discussion and support group. Facilitated by an experienced father and educator, these sessions will provide fathers-to-be and new dads with answers to their concerns and questions. Learn more about the group.
Empowered Birth Choices Childbirth Preparation Classes
Pregnant women and persons and their birth partners are invited to attend Empowered Birth Choices, a 4-week series of Childbirth Preparation Classes. The classes meet for 3-1/2 hours each session once per week. Classes are free for Medi-Cal. We also offer private childbirth education classes customized to suit families’ budgets and schedules. Learn more about the classes.
Maternity and Infant Thrift Store
At our Happy Mama Healthy Baby Maternity and Infant Resale Store, parents can find maternity and nursing clothes, infant to 3 month. We have unique clothing, cloth diaper wraps, slings, etc. Located in our downtown office. Hours by appointment only. Donate or Buy today and support our Community Doula Program. Hours by appointment only.
Reading and Relaxation Room
We have a reading room with books on childbirth, pregnancy, breastfeeding and parenting. Stop by and enjoy a cup of tea and read a book or watch a birth video while you sit in our deluxe massage chair. Kids are welcome! We have a children’s play area. Hours by appointment only.
Classes and Workshops
At our downtown office located at Mercado La Paloma, we offer classes of all types to every pregnant person or family including yoga, infant massage, film nights and lectures, etc. Email us for the current schedule.
PAY FOR POSTPARTUM DOULA SERVICES
Pay by Check
Make checks payable to “HMHBA”. Send checks to:
Happy Mama Healthy Baby Alliance
3655 S. Grand Ave. Suite 260, Los Angeles, CA 90007
Pay by Card
Please use the pull-down menu below to select your choice: then select “ADD TO CART” button. You will be taken to PayPal’s secure site, where you can pay using your PayPal account (if you do not have a PayPal account you can set one up in minutes).