Childbirth Education – Private Instruction
Empowered Birth Choices
Natural Childbirth Preparation Class
Make Informed Choices. Cultivate Trust In Birth. Know Your Birthing Rights.
Natural Childbirth Preparation Classes, customized to suit your schedule, interests, and budget. Taught in the comfort and intimacy of your own home or on Zoom.
Esta clase se puede impartir en inglés o español.
Complete the Registration Form
Love Us? Write a Review of us on Yelp
Areas Served Include:
Greater Los Angeles, Downtown, Crenshaw / Leimert Park, South Pasadena, Pasadena, Altadena, Mt. Washington, Highland Park, Eagle Rock, Echo Park, Silverlake, Sierra Madre, Monrovia, Duarte, Azusa, Covina, Claremont, Pomona, Walnut, Playa Vista, Marina Del Rey, Santa Monica, Culver City, Topanga Canyon, Culver City, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Woodland Hills…and more.
During Covid-19, we are offering classes online on the Zoom format.
PAY FOR CLASSES
Classes are $50.00 per hour. To reserve class, $50.00 non-refundable deposit is required, applied to first hour
of classes. A minimum of one 3-hour class is required.
Payments by check, money order, or cash are accepted. Pay at: http://PayPal.me/AWMNH
Make checks and money orders payable to: AWMNH- Happy Mama Healthy Baby Alliance
Send checks to:
Happy Mama Healthy Baby Alliance
600 Lincoln Ave., #92495
Pasadena, CA 91109
Pay by debit card or credit card via PayPal:
To pay for classes, use the pull down menu below to select “Private Childbirth Preparation Classes”. Enter the number of hours you want to pay for (1 hour = 1 unit = $50.00). Then select “ADD TO CART” You will then be redirected to PayPal’s secure website where you may pay using your PayPal account or your debit or credit card. If you do not have a PayPal account, you can set one up in minutes.
ABOUT PRIVATE CLASSES
Is your schedule too hectic to attend group classes? Need last minute classes? Social distancing because of Covid? We offer private, one-on-one, individualized childbirth preparation classes over Zoom or in your home.
Private classes are generally 3 hours in length and can include siblings, grandparents, friends, etc. at no additional charge.
- Expectant parents in early pregnancy who want to explore their options for childbirth
- First-time expectant parents
- Experienced parents needing a childbirth prep refresher course
- Expectant parents planning hospital, birth center or home births
- Pregnant mothers on bedrest
- Pregnant women planning scheduled cesareans
- Expectant mothers desiring Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC)
- Expectant Parents who prefer socially-distanced classes due to Covid-19
- Parents with hectic schedules who can’t make it to group classes
- Procrastinators who need a quick class before the baby arrives!
We educate about and promote:
- Informed consent and refusal in maternity care–not only is it responsible and ethical, women who felt they had decision-making power during birth had improved self-esteem and bonding with their babies
- Alternative choices in childbirth such as homebirth, waterbirth, birth centers and midwife assisted birth
- Physiological childbirth–it’s natural and normal, and results in healthy outcomes for mothers and infants.
- The lifelong importance of maternal-infant attachment.
- Breastfeeding–it protects and improves maternal and infant health for a lifetime and is also eco-friendly.
- Awareness of spiritual and emotional aspects of birthing
- Awareness of the influence of the woman’s social environment on pregnancy, birthing, and breastfeeding
- Family involvement in the birthing process
- Complimentary modalities for pregnancy and childbirth: acupuncture, chiropractic, herbology, etc.
- Attachment parenting and Biological Nurturing as the most sensible way to develop happy and secure children
DESIGN YOUR OWN CLASS! CHOOSE FROM TOPICS:
We can customize the classes to suit your interests and needs.
- Fetal Development
- Preventing premature birth
- Eating right for a healthy pregnancy
- Coping with common discomforts of pregnancy
- How your body works in labor and birth
- How labor begins and progresses
- “True” labor vs. “False” labor
- The phases and stages of birth
- How to time contractions
- When to go to the hospital, birth center, or call the midwife
Out-of-Hospital Birth Planning
- Discussing your decision with your family and friends (or not)
- Supplies and materials for planned homebirth
- Waterbirth at Home
- Preparing siblings for birth in the house or birth center
- Arranging for hospital and MD back up
- Understanding how your midwives will deal with unexpected complications and emergencies
- Insurance for Home or Birth Center
- Breathing techniques and relaxation exercises
- Creative Visualization and other techniques
- Positions for easier, faster and more comfortable labor
- Support methods for birth partners
- Positions for effective pushing
- Trusting your body’s wisdom, surrendering and opening to birth
- Cultivating trust in birth; overcoming fear and anxiety
- The benefits of natural childbirth or “physiological childbirth”
- Orgasmic Birth?! How this is possible…
- The Role of the Doula–your partner in manifesting the birth you desire
- Choosing the place of birth: hospital, home or birth center?
- Choosing your birth support provider: midwife or obstetrician?
- Pain medication options: epidurals and analgesics; risks and benefits
- Advantages and disadvantages of medical procedures and their effect on labor, mother and baby (induction, electronic fetal monitoring, etc)
- Informed Consent and Refusal–Understanding Your Rights and Responsibilities
- Birth by Cesearean and Vaginal Birth After Cesearean (VBAC)
- Creating a “Birth Plan” and Communicating with Your Care Provider
Class Four: Postpartum Planning, Your Amazing Newborn and Breastfeeding
- What to expect after baby arrives: physical and emotional needs of postpartum
- Bonding with your amazing newborn baby
- Newborn medical procedures: benefits and risks
- Breastfeeding Basics: Getting off to a good start
- A New Paradigm for Breastfeeding: Baby Self-Attachment and ®Biological Nurturing
- Kangaroo Mothercare–Restoring the Original Paradigm for Mother and Infant Care
- Reducing Your Risks of SIDS
- Safe Co-Sleeping with Your Infant
- Laid Back Breastfeeding and other Positions to Make Breastfeeding Work
- Benefits of breastfeeding for mothers, fathers, babies and society
- How your breasts make milk
- Keeping up your milk supply
- Preventing sore nipples, dealing with engorgement and other issues
- Challenges of breastfeeding (inverted nipples, breastfeeding the premature baby, etc).
- Working or going to school while breastfeeding
- Pumping and storage of breastmilk
- Preparing a postpartum plan
LINKS OF INTEREST
Listening to Mother’s Survey I and II -U.S. Women’s Experiences of Childbirth