Childbirth Education – Group Classes
Empowered Birth Choices
Natural Childbirth Preparation Class
Clases de preparación para el parto “Elecciones empoderadas para el parto”
Esta clase también se ofrece en español
Make Informed Choices. Cultivate Trust In Birth. Know Your Birthing Rights
A Four-Week Series of Online Natural Childbirth Education Classes for Pregnant Women and Persons and their Birth Partners
Una serie de cuatro semanas de clases de educación sobre el parto natural en línea para mujeres embarazadas y personas y sus parejas de parto.
About These Classes | Why Choose these Classes | Class One: Understanding Birth | Class Two: Coping with Labor | Class Three: Making Informed Choices | Class Four: Postpartum, The Amazing Newborn & Breastfeeding | Pay for Classes and Services
Classes are $350.00 per couple | $200.00 per couple for Low-Income | Free for Medi-Cal
Download Flyer (PDF)
This class will be held online on ZOOM.
Login information will be provided for all who register in advance.
OTHER WAYS TO PAY FOR CLASSES
Pay By Check or Money Order
Make checks payable to: “AWMNH“, Send to:
Happy Mama Healthy Baby Alliance
600 Lincoln Ave. #92495, Pasadena, CA 91109
Use the drop down menu below to select “Group Childbirth Preparation Classes” then click on the “ADD TO CART” Button. You will then be redirected to PayPal’s secure website to pay using your PayPal account (if you don’t have one, you can set it up in minutes), or your debit or credit card.
In this group four week series, expectant parents will be empowered and informed so they can:
- Take an active role in making informed decisions about their birth and newborn baby.
- Make informed choices based on knowledge of risks and benefits and alternatives to medical procedures.
- Feel confident they can use labor coping skills to manage discomforts of labor.
- Provide comfort measures and advocate for the birthing person through labor coping techniques such as breathing, position changes, water immersion, energy work, meditation and prayer, vocalization, visualization, etc.
- Get breastfeeding started right
- Support the breastfeeding person
- Bond with their newborn babies
- Prepare for postpartum so to have a smooth transition to parenthood, or an additional member of the family.
WHO SHOUD ATTEND?
- These classes are appropriate for first-time expectant parents and experienced parents alike seeking a refresher course.
- Class is appropriate for expectant parents planning hospital, birth center or homebirths.
- Can join the class at any session, though we encourage attending all four sessions for maximum benefit.
By the end of this course, pregnant women and persons and their partners will have increased:
1) Knowledge about options for childbirth, understand pros and cons of medical procedures, and will make informed choices during pregnancy and childbirth and postpartum.
2) Confidence to give birth normally by utilizing labor coping skills.
3) Confidence in their ability to provide support to the birthing person during labor.
3) Knowledge to breastfeed the baby or support the breastfeeding person.
4) Skills to care for the newborn.
5) Ability to create a plan for postpartum recovery.
OVERVIEW OF COURSE
- Fetal Development
- Preventing premature birth
- Stress-reduction in pregnancy
- Eating right for a healthy pregnancy
- Coping with common discomforts of pregnancy
- Sexuality during pregnancy
- Couples communication during pregnancy
- How your body works in labor and birth
- How labor begins and progresses
- “True” labor vs. “False” labor
- The phases and stages of birth
- How to time contractions
- When to go to the hospital
- Breathing Techniques
- Relaxation Exercises
- Visualization Exercises
- Vocalization Exercises
- The Power of Affirmations & Prayer
- Positions to Facilitate a Faster and More Comfortable Labor
- Pushing Techniques and Positions
- Delivery of Placenta (Afterbirth)
- Options for Handling of Placenta
- Pain Medication: Options, Risks and Benefits
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Medical procedures and their Effect on Labor, Mother and Baby (induction of labor, vacuum extraction, etc).
- Informed Consent and Refusal: Understanding Your Rights and Responsibilities
- Birth by Cesarean and Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC)
- Creating a “Birth Plan”: Your preferences for Labor and Delivery and Newborn Care
- Communicating with Medical Professionals about what you want and need
- The Amazing Newborn: Appearance and Behavior
- Newborn Medical Procedures: Making Informed Choices
- Newborn Care Basics: Bathing, Swaddling, Diapering, Wearing, Soothing
- SIDS Prevention: Two Strategies
- Benefits of Breastfeeding to Mother, Infant, Father and Society
- How the Breasts Make Milk
- Keeping Your Milk Supply Up
- How to Know if Baby is Getting Enough Milk
- Remedies for Common Concerns of Breastfeeding
- Working or Attending School While Breastfeeding
- Father/Partner’s Role in Supporting Breastfeeding Mother
- Sibling Adjustment
- Couple ‘s Relationship After Baby
- Baby Blues and Postpartum Depression: Signs and Symptoms and When to Call for Help
- Preparing a Postpartum Plan
We educate about and promote:
- Informed consent and refusal in maternity care–not only is it responsible and ethical, women who felt they had decision-making power during birth had improved self-esteem and bonding with their babies
- Alternative choices in childbirth such as homebirth, waterbirth, birth centers and midwife assisted birth
- Physiological childbirth–it’s natural and normal, and results in healthy outcomes for mothers and infants.
- The lifelong importance of maternal-infant attachment.
- Breastfeeding–it protects and improves maternal and infant health for a lifetime and is also eco-friendly.
- Awareness of spiritual and emotional aspects of birthing
- Awareness of the influence of the woman’s social environment on pregnancy, birthing, and breastfeeding
- Family involvement in the birthing process
- Complimentary modalities for pregnancy and childbirth: acupuncture, chiropractic, herbology, etc.
- Attachment parenting and Biological Nurturing as the most sensible way to develop happy and secure children.
I’m a DONA-trained Birth Doula and was certified as a Postpartum Doula by Happy Mama Healthy Baby Alliance. Currently, I am training as a Lactation Consultant and plan to become a Midwife. I support families all across Southern California and the Las Vegas region. I plan to become a Woman’s Wellness specialist to expand my practice and help reduce disparities in care. I entered birth work to help advocate and bring trust and more love into the birthing space, which I believe transcends into the beginning of the development and beauty that is a healthy family and parenthood. I want my birthing people and families to own their strength and truly see the beauty in the unpredictability of birth and early childhood development (and of life itself).I also offer belly binding and placenta encapsulation services. My philosophy as a birth worker is to make sure my families are well educated/prepared and stress-free prior to delivery and have my assistance in whatever capacity they need. As well as care and help after birth. I do not dictate the choices that the birthing person and/or partner make, I want them to always feel heard. I know that this work is my calling. I was meant to help women and families of all backgrounds. To you, I offer my dedication and undeniable commitment to you having the birth you desire.
I am a self-aware wisdom seeker, with a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from Clark Atlanta University. I am currently a midwifery student. I am also trained in culinary arts. However, I am most proud of my specialty in service. I take pride in my holistic approach to life. I was Certified as a Perinatal Support Specialist through The Association for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health in 2019. They have equipped me with the wisdom of birth doula, post-postpartum doula and lactation support. I am available to provide support in many different birth settings: from a home waterbirth to hospital births (medicated and un-medicated), and caesareans, on through to postpartum care. I know that all births and labors differ immensely and that all mothers have different needs. I believe in the power of every mother’s story, and maintain the importance of being informed and educated throughout a pregnancy. I hope to help empower women with their birth and journey into motherhood!
I am a DONA trained postpartum doula as well as a yoga instructor. As a postpartum doula, my work varies greatly depending on the needs of the family, evolving as those needs change and shift. I truly believe that each family deserves as much support as possible in the postpartum period and I see myself as a well-rested and grounded support who can help to navigate the new dynamics and challenges that come with the introduction of a new baby into the home. I look forward to helping you prepare a postpartum plan to make your transition to parenthood as smooth as possible! I speak Portuguese.
Instructora de español
Empatizo fuertemente con la misión de Happy Mama Healthy Baby Alliance de servir principalmente a las personas negras y otras personas de color y de menor estatus económico debido a su grave maltrato a manos de profesionales médicos en el campo y como personas con más probabilidades de experimentar mortalidad infantil y materna, sufrir depresión posparto y tener una falta de acceso para ayudar con estos problemas.
Yo he sido testigo de la lucha de depresión posparto con mi propia madre con el nacimiento de su hijo menor y la falta de acceso que tuvo a ayuda. Yo igual luché con la depresión posparto y tuve un año difícil después del nacimiento de mi hija. El sentimiento abrumador de soledad y deseo de apoyo me hizo dar cuenta de lo que una persona en este rol puede ayudar a alguien que enfrenta esas mismas luchas. Quiero apoyar a los padres y a las personas biológicas en su función parental y ayudarlos a cuidarse a sí mismos también. Tanta atención como el bebé necesita a la persona biológica y pareja necesita la ayuda también.
El papel de un padre nunca será fácil, pero con un poco de ayuda, crianza y guías podemos hacer que sea una experiencia maravillosa para todos. Como doula posparto capacitada por DONA, estoy aquí para ayudarle a tomar las decisiones correctas para usted y su familia proporcionándole información basada en evidencia y asistencia sin juicio y opinión innecesaria. Sería mi alegría ayudarles hacer esta transición hermosa!
Cancellation must be made in writing by deadline (5 days prior to start of course). Tuition will be reimbursed less $50.00 administrative fee if notification received by this date. After this date, there will be no refunds, with the exception of COVID-19-related illness, which will be decided on a case-by-case basis. However, in extenuating circumstances such as documented illness or emergency, the tuition is fully transferable to another person or training (this course or another topic); credit is good for the amount of training. If course registering into is higher price, the additional balance will be required. If it is a lesser price, there will not be any refund of balance. Credit will be honored for one year from the training. If not used by that time, the credit will expire.
Questions? Want to Register? Contact:
Lisa Mejia, BA, CPD
Community Childbirth Education Coordinator
(626) 388 – 2191 ext. 2
You can also submit the Birth Form