Childbirth Education – Group Classes
Empowered Birth Choices
Natural Childbirth Preparation Class
Make Informed Choices. Cultivate Trust In Birth
A Four-Week Series of Natural Childbirth Education Classes for Pregnant Women and their Birth Partners. Natural Childbirth Preparation.
About These Classes | Why Choose these Classes | Class One: Understanding Birth | Class Two: Coping with Labor | Class Three: Making Informed Choices | Class Four: Postpartum, The Amazing Newborn & Breastfeeding | Pay for Classes and Services
Class meet on Sundays, February 7, 14, 21 & 28, 2021, from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm PDT
Deadline to Register is February 6
Classes are $350.00 per couple | $200.00 per couple for Low-Income | Free for Medi-Cal
Download Flyer (PDF)
This class will be held online on ZOOM
Login information will be provided for all who register in advance.
PAY FOR CLASSES
Pay By Check or Money Order
Make checks payable to: “AWMNH“, Send to:
Happy Mama Healthy Baby Alliance
600 Lincoln Ave. #92495, Pasadena, CA 91109
Use the drop down menu below to select “Group Childbirth Preparation Classes” then click on the “ADD TO CART” Button. You will then be redirected to PayPal’s secure website to pay using your PayPal account (if you don’t have one, you can set it up in minutes), or your debit or credit card.
We trust birth. We believe in you. We help you develop confidence for birthing, breastfeeding and parenting a newborn baby. We help you develop a vision for your birth; we support you to
Our classes are evidence-based, trauma-informed, celebrate diversity, and promote social justice in maternity care.
In this four week series, expectant parents will be empowered to take an active role in making informed decisions about childbirth and newborn care. After taking this class, participants will be able to make choices based on knowledge of risks and benefits and alternatives to medical procedures. These classes are appropriate for first-time expectant parents and experienced parents alike.
Prenatal education today is much more than learning how to breathe. These “Lamaze” childbirth preparation classes help pregnant women (and persons) and their partners learn about the birth process, the pros and cons of medical interventions, how to cope with labor, and how to care for their newborn baby.
By the end of this course, participants will have:
1) Increased knowledge about options for childbirth, pros and cons of medical procedures, and make informed choices during pregnancy and childbirth.
2) Increased confidence to give birth normally and cope with labor.
3) Increased confidence in their ability to provide support to the woman during labor.
3) Increased confidence to breastfeed the baby.
4) Skills to care for the newborn.
OVERVIEW OF COURSE
- Fetal Development
- Preventing premature birth
- Stress-reduction in pregnancy
- Eating right for a healthy pregnancy
- Coping with common discomforts of pregnancy
- Sexuality during pregnancy
- Couples communication during pregnancy
- How your body works in labor and birth
- How labor begins and progresses
- “True” labor vs. “False” labor
- The phases and stages of birth
- How to time contractions
- When to go to the hospital
- Breathing Techniques
- Relaxation Exercises
- Visualization Exercises
- Vocalization Exercises
- The Power of Affirmations & Prayer
- Positions to Facilitate a Faster and More Comfortable Labor
- Pushing Techniques and Positions
- Delivery of Placenta (Afterbirth)
- Options for Handling of Placenta
- Pain Medication: Options, Risks and Benefits
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Medical procedures and their Effect on Labor, Mother and Baby (induction of labor, vacuum extraction, etc).
- Informed Consent and Refusal: Understanding Your Rights and Responsibilities
- Birth by Cesarean and Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC)
- Creating a “Birth Plan”: Your preferences for Labor and Delivery and Newborn Care
- Communicating with Medical Professionals about what you want and need
- The Amazing Newborn: Appearance and Behavior
- Newborn Medical Procedures: Making Informed Choices
- Newborn Care Basics: Bathing, Swaddling, Diapering, Wearing, Soothing
- SIDS Prevention: Two Strategies
- Benefits of Breastfeeding to Mother, Infant, Father and Society
- How the Breasts Make Milk
- Keeping Your Milk Supply Up
- How to Know if Baby is Getting Enough Milk
- Remedies for Common Concerns of Breastfeeding
- Working or Attending School While Breastfeeding
- Father/Partner’s Role in Supporting Breastfeeding Mother
- Sibling Adjustment
- Couple ‘s Relationship After Baby
- Baby Blues and Postpartum Depression: Signs and Symptoms and When to Call for Help
Because we educate about and promote:
- Informed consent and refusal in maternity care–not only is it responsible and ethical, women who felt they had decision-making power during birth had improved self-esteem and bonding with their babies
- Alternative choices in childbirth such as homebirth, waterbirth, birth centers and midwife assisted birth
- Physiological childbirth–it’s natural and normal, and results in healthy outcomes for mothers and infants.
- The lifelong importance of maternal-infant attachment.
- Breastfeeding–it protects and improves maternal and infant health for a lifetime and is also eco-friendly.
- Awareness of spiritual and emotional aspects of birthing
- Awareness of the influence of the woman’s social environment on pregnancy, birthing, and breastfeeding
- Family involvement in the birthing process
- Complimentary modalities for pregnancy and childbirth: acupuncture, chiropractic, herbology, etc.
- Attachment parenting and Biological Nurturing as the most sensible way to develop happy and secure children.
Questions? Want to Register? Contact:
Elsie Gutierrez, MPH, Manager of Community Programs
Email to: Elsie.Gutierrez@motherbabysupport.net
(626) 388 – 2191 ext. 2
You can also Submit Birth Form