Childbirth Education – Group Classes
Empowered Birth Choices
Natural Childbirth Preparation Class
Make Informed Choices. Cultivate Trust In Birth. Know Your Birthing Rights
A Four-Week Series of Online Natural Childbirth Education Classes for Pregnant Persons and their Birth Partners
Una serie de cuatro semanas de clases de educación sobre el parto natural en línea para mujeres embarazadas y sus parejas de parto.
Clases de preparación para el parto “Elecciones empoderadas para el parto”
Esta clase también se ofrece en español
4 Sundays, April 3, 10, 17, 24, 2022 – 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm (PST)
4 Sundays, June 5, 12, 19,26, 2022- 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm (PST)
4 Sundays, September 4, 11, 18, 25, 2022 -2:00 pm to 5:30 pm (PST) (En Espanol)
This class is made possible by a grant from Prolacta Bioscience, Inc.
This class will be held online on ZOOM
FOR MAXIMUM BENEFIT, WE RECOMMEND YOU ATTEND ALL FOUR SESSIONS IN SERIES
Have questions? Fill out the “request to register” form, and someone will be in touch
Request to Register, or call (626) 388-2191 ( Ext. 2).
Login information will be provided for all who register in advance.
HOW TO PAY FOR CLASSES
Pay By Check or Money Order
Make checks payable to: “AWMNH“, Send to:
Happy Mama Healthy Baby Alliance
600 Lincoln Ave. #92495, Pasadena, CA 91109
Use the drop down menu below to select “Group Childbirth Preparation Classes” then click on the “ADD TO CART” Button. You will then be redirected to PayPal’s secure website to pay using your PayPal account (if you don’t have one, you can set it up in minutes), or your debit or credit card.
These classes are EVIDENCE BASED, and PROMOTE INFORMED DECISION-MAKING and EMPOWERMENT FOR BIRTHING PERSONS & THEIR PARTNERS
These classes will help you:
- Take an active role in making informed decisions about your birth and newborn
- Make informed choices based on knowledge of risks and benefits and alternatives
- Feel confident you can use labor coping skills to manage discomforts of labor
- Provide effective support to the laboring person
- Get breastfeeding started right
- Know how to breastfeed your baby
- Understand the critical importance of infant-parent attachment
- Prepare for postpartum so to have a smooth transition to parenthood
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- First time expectant parents & experienced parents needing a refresher course
- Expectant parents planning to give birth in the hospital, home, or birth center
- Expectant parents considering having the baby at home or in a birth center
- Expectant couples who prefer to learn on a live ZOOM session due to Covid-19 concerns
By the end of this course, pregnant persons and their partners will have increased:
1) Knowledge about options for childbirth, understand pros and cons of medical procedures, and will make informed choices during pregnancy and childbirth and postpartum.
2) Confidence to give birth normally by utilizing labor coping skills.
3) Confidence in their ability to provide support to the birthing person during labor.
3) Knowledge to breastfeed the baby or support the breastfeeding woman.
4) Skills to care for the newborn.
5) Created a plan for postpartum recovery.
OVERVIEW OF COURSE
In this session, you will learn about:
- Fetal development, preventing preterm labor, and ways to reduce stress in pregnancy.
- Coping with common discomforts of pregnancy
- Eating right during pregnancy to grow a healthy baby.
- How your body works during labor and birth. You will learn how labor begins and progresses, and when to go to your birthing place or call the midwife.
In this session, you will learn about:
- Ways to cope with labor such as breathing techniques, relaxation exercises, and the power of affirmation, prayer and energy work during labor.
- Positions for coping with labor and pushing.
- How partners can help the birthing person stay focused and comfortable, trusting and open during the process.
- How to bond with your newborn baby through skin-to-skin care
- How to surrender to birth and open to it with ease, fearlessness and faith.
- Options for your placenta including placentophagy through placenta encapsulation, ceremony, or hospital disposal.
In this session, you will learn about:
- Your rights as a birthing person. You will be empowered to ask for what you want and stand up for what you want during labor, or make an informed refusal.
- How your partner can be an advocate for you and your baby.
- Medical procedures done in childbirth, their benefits and risks, advantages and disadvantages, so you can make informed choices.
- Pain medication options for labor and their effects on the labor, you, and your baby.
- How to write a birth plan of your preferences for labor, birth, the newborn and the immediate postpartum period.
- How to lower your risk for emergency cesarean section.
- How to increase your chances of a Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC).
- How to have a family-centered, elective cesarean section.
- The benefits and risks of different places of birth: hospital, home and birth center
- The differences between Doulas and Midwives
- Your values for childbirth and how to find a doctor or midwife who shares them.
- How a Doula can make a real difference in your birth–and afterwards, too.
- How Doulas support partners as well as birthing persons.
In this session, you will learn:
- About the amazing newborn, medical procedures (male circumcision,newborn screening test, etc.) and newborn care (swaddling, soothing, bathing, etc.)
- How the breasts make milk
- How to know if baby’s getting enough milk
- How to increase your milk supply
- How to deal with common issues of breastfeeding such as sore nipples or low milk supply
- How to pump and store your breastmilk and returning to work or school as a breastfeeding mother
- About sex & intimacy after childbirth
- Methods of family planning
- How to create a “Reproductive Life Plan”.
- Ways to help older siblings adjust to the new baby
- Types of postpartum mood disorders and where to get help if needed.
- How to prepare a “Postpartum Plan”
- The benefits of a hiring a Postpartum Doula
We educate about and promote:
- Informed consent and refusal in maternity care–not only is it responsible and ethical, women who felt they had decision-making power during birth had improved self-esteem and bonding with their babies.
- Alternative choices in childbirth such as homebirth, waterbirth, birth centers and midwife assisted birth
- Physiological childbirth–it’s natural and normal, and results in healthy outcomes for mothers and infants.
- The lifelong importance of maternal-infant attachment.
- Breastfeeding–it protects and improves maternal and infant health for a lifetime and is also eco-friendly.
- Awareness of spiritual and emotional aspects of birthing.
- Awareness of the influence of the woman’s social environment on pregnancy, birthing, and breastfeeding
- Family involvement in the birthing process.
- Complimentary modalities for pregnancy and childbirth: acupuncture, chiropractic, herbology, etc.
- Attachment parenting and Biological Nurturing as the most sensible way to develop happy and secure children.
I am a self-aware wisdom seeker, with a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from Clark Atlanta University. I am currently a midwifery student. I am also trained in culinary arts. However, I am most proud of my specialty in service. I take pride in my holistic approach to life. I was Certified as a Perinatal Support Specialist (CPSS) through The Association for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health in 2019. They have equipped me with the wisdom of birth doula, post-postpartum doula and lactation support. I am available to provide support in many different birth settings: from a home waterbirth to hospital births (medicated and un-medicated), and caesareans, on through to postpartum care. I know that all births and labors differ immensely and that all mothers have different needs. I believe in the power of every mother’s story, and maintain the importance of being informed and educated throughout a pregnancy. I hope to help empower women with their birth and journey into motherhood!
Instructora de español. Esta clase se puede impartir en inglés o español.
Empatizo fuertemente con la misión de Happy Mama Healthy Baby Alliance de servir principalmente a las personas negras y otras personas de color y de menor estatus económico debido a su grave maltrato a manos de profesionales médicos en el campo y como personas con más probabilidades de experimentar mortalidad infantil y materna, sufrir depresión posparto y tener una falta de acceso para ayudar con estos problemas.
Yo he sido testigo de la lucha de depresión posparto con mi propia madre con el nacimiento de su hijo menor y la falta de acceso que tuvo a ayuda. Yo igual luché con la depresión posparto y tuve un año difícil después del nacimiento de mi hija. El sentimiento abrumador de soledad y deseo de apoyo me hizo dar cuenta de lo que una persona en este rol puede ayudar a alguien que enfrenta esas mismas luchas. Quiero apoyar a los padres y a las personas biológicas en su función parental y ayudarlos a cuidarse a sí mismos también. Tanta atención como el bebé necesita a la persona biológica y pareja necesita la ayuda también.
El papel de un padre nunca será fácil, pero con un poco de ayuda, crianza y guías podemos hacer que sea una experiencia maravillosa para todos. Como doula posparto capacitada por DONA, estoy aquí para ayudarle a tomar las decisiones correctas para usted y su familia proporcionándole información basada en evidencia y asistencia sin juicio y opinión innecesaria. Sería mi alegría ayudarles hacer esta transición hermosa!
Cancellation must be made in writing by deadline (5 days prior to start of course). Tuition will be reimbursed less $50.00 administrative fee if notification received by this date. After this date, there will be no refunds, with the exception of COVID-19-related illness, which will be decided on a case-by-case basis. However, in extenuating circumstances such as documented illness or emergency, the tuition is fully transferable to another person or training (this course or another topic); credit is good for the amount of training. If course registering into is higher price, the additional balance will be required. If it is a lesser price, there will not be any refund of balance. Credit will be honored for one year from the training. If not used by that time, the credit will expire.
Questions? Want to Register? Contact:
Lisa Mejia, BA, CPD
Community Childbirth Education Coordinator
(626) 388 – 2191 ext. 2