Happy Mama Healthy Baby Community Doula Program
Happy Mamas Growing Healthy Babies
BIRTH DOULA SUPPORT AND CHILDBIRTH EDUCATION FOR LOS ANGELES FAMILIES
ENROLL OR GET INFORMATION
Complete: Parent Inquiry Form
RSVP FOR OUR MEET THE DOULA NIGHT
LIVE ON ZOOM
Sunday, July 12, 2020 – 3:00 to 5:00 pm PDT
Free of Charge | All Expectant Mothers, Fathers and Partners are Welcome
RSVP by calling (626) 388-2191 ext. 2 or Email Us
MEET OUR DOULA PROGRAM COORDINATOR ELSIE GUTIERREZ, MPH
Se Habla Espanol
Call Elsie: (626) 388-2191 ext. 2 | Email: Elsie Gutierrez, MPH
ERICKA’S BIRTH EXPERIENCE WITH HAPPY MAMA HEALTHY BABY ALLIANCE DOULAS
WHAT IS A “DOULA”?
- “Doula” (doo-LAH) is a Greek word, which means “woman servant”.
- Doulas are professional childbirth companions who provide physical comfort, education and advocacy skills to women and persons during childbirth and the postpartum period.
- Doulas are also trained to recognize problems of pregnancy, childbirth, postpartum and in the newborn.
- While Doulas do not do anything medical, should a complication or emergency arise during pregnancy, childbirth or postpartum, the Doula can help the family quickly get medical help, potentially saving mothers and babies lives.
- “Doula” (doo-LAH) es una palabra griega, que significa “mujer sirviente,” una Companera de Parto.
- Las Doulas son compañeras profesionales del parto que proporcionan comodidad física, educación y habilidades de promoción a las mujeres y las personas durante el parto y el período posparto.
- Las doulas también están entrenadas para reconocer problemas de embarazo, parto, posparto y en el recién nacido.
- Mientras que los Doulas no hacen nada médico, si surge una complicación o emergencia durante el embarazo, el parto o el posparto, la Doula puede ayudar a la familia a obtener rápidamente ayuda médica, lo que puede salvar vidas a las madres y bebés.
MEET OUR DOULAS
Our Doulas work on a sliding scale because we believe EVERY family deserves a Doula. Low-income persons and those with Medi-Cal may receive volunteer Doula Support. However, If you have the ability to pay a little (or a lot) more, this will enable our Doulas to continue to reach underserved and hard-to-reach pregnant teenagers and women to provide them with pregnancy care, labor support, breastfeeding support, and postpartum care.
PAY FOR BIRTH DOULA SERVICES
Pay By Check
Make checks payable to “AWMNH” . Send checks to:
Happy Mama Healthy Baby Alliance
600 Lincoln Ave., #92495, Pasadena, CA 91109
Pay by Card
As labor support services fees are sliding scale, please enter the amount agreed upon in the box below. Then click on the “BUY NOW” button. You will be taken to Paypal’s secure site, where you can pay using your Paypal account (if you do not have a Paypal account you can set one up in minutes), or you can pay using your debit or credit card.
|Labor Support Services|
WATCH VIDEO FROM CHICAGO’S HEALTH CONNECT ONE ABOUT COMMUNITY-BASED DOULAS
ABOUT OUR PROGRAM
- We have been providing community-based Doula support in Los Angeles County since 2010.
- Our services are offered on a sliding scale basis so that Doula support is available to ALL families. Low-income persons can receive volunteer Doula services. If you have the ability to pay, consider donating a bit extra so that pregnant women from disadvantaged backgrounds can receive labor support, breastfeeding help and postpartum care from a Doula.
- Our Doulas have skills and training in a variety of disciplines including herbology, aromatherapy, vegan cooking, energy healing and more. We are also trained in Lactation, Postpartum Care and Childbirth Education. Se Habla Espanol.
- Our Doulas’ experience ranges from new graduates to seasoned Advanced Doulas who work with our higher-risk clients.
- We work on a sliding scale. Persons with Medi-Cal may receive volunteer Doula support. We never turn anyone away for inability to pay–because we believe EVERY family deserves a Doula.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Any family in Los Angeles, Riverside or San Bernardino County is welcome to participate. We serve families of all ethnic backgrounds, gender identities, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic levels. Low-income families and those with Medi-Cal can receive Doula support free of charge by a volunteer Doula.
ABOUT OUR DOULAS
- Our team members are comprised of Doulas of multicultural backgrounds. If you have a preference for a Doula of a particular race or ethnicity or language capability, let us know. We strive to meet your needs.
- Our ages range from 21 to 75. We are mothers, aunties, grandmothers, sisters, daughters and partners. We will be your Sister-Friend and hold your hand and wipe away your tears and sweat away and share your triumphs and joys during your journey to motherhood.
- Our Doulas’ experience levels range from new grads to seasoned Doulas. In addition, our Doulas have a variety of educational backgrounds and certifications in childbirth education, midwifery, lactation counseling, massage therapy, social work, public health, and other disciplines.
WHAT IS THE COST?
Professional Doula services range from $500 to $2200. Pregnant women and persons who have Medi-Cal are eligible for free services by a volunteer Doula. We do not turn anyone away for inability to pay; because every pregnant woman and person deserves a Doula.
BENEFITS OF DOULA SUPPORT
- Decreased use of pain medication
- Decreased medical interventions
- Decreased rates of induction and augmentation of labor
- Decreased rates of cesarean section and repeat cesarean
- Decreased length of labor
- Decreased maternal depression
- Increased maternal satisfaction with the birth experience
- Increased VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean) success
- Increased breastfeeding success
THE ROLE OF THE DOULA
The Doula cares for women during pregnancy, childbirth and immediately after the birth. The Doula provides non-medical support for childbearing women and persons. Doulas are not medical or midwifery providers and do not perform any clinical skills such as vaginal exams or fetal heartrate monitoring. They do not make any medical decisions. The Doula role is to empower, educate, nurture and protect childbearing persons so they can have satisfying maternity care experiences.
How Doulas Help During Pregnancy
- Educates about fetal development
- Educates about healthy nutrition & exercise
- Teaches relaxation ad mindfulness methods to reduce stress and anxiety
- Gives suggestions for coping with common discomforts of pregnancy
- Discusses options for childbirth, including pain medication options
- Discusses how to avoid an unnecessary cesarean
- Teaches labor coping skills and support methods to birth partners
- Helps client to create a birth plan
- Discusses rights and responsibilities of pregnant women and persons
- Helps client prepare to breastfeed
- Describes newborn appearance and behavior
- Prepares siblings for birth of baby
How Doula Helps During Childbirth
- Provides Physical Comfort and Massage
- Suggests Water Immersion for Pain Relief
- Encourages Vocalization
- Suggests positions that will make labor more comfortable and make labor go faster
Provide Emotional Support
Advocate & Educate
- Help client ask for what she wants in labor
- Explain what the doctor, midwife or nurse wants to do and why
- Inform clients of risks and benefits of medical decisions
- Encourages informed decision-making
- Encourages Informed Consent and Refusal
- Help the client and her partner decide what they want to do
- Provides language interpretation if needed
- Encourages Client’s Religious/Spiritual Practices
- Advocates for Respect of Client’s Cultural Traditions
- Protects Client Privacy and Intimacy
- Ensure each mamababy is treated with kindness, dignity and respect
Recognize & Refer
Doula will educate client and refer to primary medical provider if there are:
- Danger signs of pregnancy/labor
- Danger signs of postpartum
- Danger signs in the newborn
Postpartum Doula Support
- Encourages and offers support to mother in breastfeeding her baby
- Instructs mother on how to care for herself after birth
- Provides emotional support to new mothers and partners or fathers
- Helps with meal preparation & baby laundry
- Teaches new parents how care for baby including bathing, diapering, swaddling, slinging, soothing
- Encourages mother to rest so she can recover from childbirth
- Encourages parents to reflect on their childbirth experience
- Encourages parents to find support if they are feeling sad and blue
- Educates about risks and benefits of newborn procedures (circumcision, etc.)
- Connects families to resources they need (i.e., breastfeeding support groups, prenatal yoga, etc.)
WHAT IS OFFERED IN THE HAPPY MAMA HEALTHY BABY COMMUNITY DOULA PROGRAM
Three (3) one to two-hour prenatal visits will be provided during each trimester of pregnancy. Topics covered in these visits are:
- Fetal Development
- Weight Gain
- Exercise Guidelines
- Information on sexuality during pregnancy
- How the body works during labor
- Pain medication options
- When to go to the hospital
- Labor coping skills for laboring mothers and support techniques for birth partners
- Emotional support and stress-relief methods
- Screening for maternal anxiety and depression will also be offered and referrals can be made if needed
Labor and Birth Support
The Doula will go “on-call” 24-hours a day for the client from 36 weeks onward. When the client goes into labor, The Doula will meet the client at her home or the hospital. The Doula will provide:
- Emotional Support (encouragement, reassurance, compassion);
- Physical Comfort (i.e., position changes, massage, breathing, relaxation techniques, etc.);
- Informational Support (i.e., information on risks and benefits of medical procedures);
- Advocacy (helping client to speak with her medical providers about what she needs and wants during birth)
- Recognition and Referral (Doulas are trained to recognize complications and emergencies in pregnancy, labor, postpartum and in the newborn and will refer client to primary care provider if needed).
The Doula will provide three (3) one-to-two hour postpartum visits. Doulas will offer:
- Breastfeeding Support for Common Problems & Referrals if Necessary
- Instruct Parents on Newborn Care (Bathing, Swaddling, Diapering, Baby Wearing, etc.)
- Education on Newborn Appearance & Behavior
- Information on Newborn Medical Procedures and Screening Tests
- Instruction on Caring for Mother/Person and Self-Care After Childbirth
- Screening for Perinatal Depression and Referral if Needed
- Support for Father/Partners
OTHER SERVICES OFFERED
Empowered Birth Choices Childbirth Preparation Classes
Pregnant women and persons and their partners are invited to attend Empowered Birth Choices Childbirth Preparation Classes.
The classes meet for 4 sessions, 3-1/2 hours each session once per week. Classes are free for Medi-Cal.
Private Childbirth Preparation Classes
We also offer private childbirth education classes customized to suit families’ budgets and schedules.
Due to Covid-19, classes will be conducted on Zoom until further notice.
Classes and Workshops
Due to Covid-19, all our events and classes are occurring on Zoom. We offer online Childbirth Preparation Classes, lectures, workshops, panel discussions, and Meet the Doula Night–where you can meet and chat with our Doulas.
Email us for the current schedule.