Happy Mama Healthy Baby Community Doula Program
Happy Mamas Growing Healthy Babies
BIRTH AND POSTPARTUM DOULA SUPPORT AND CHILDBIRTH EDUCATION FOR SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AND LAS VEGAS FAMILIES
ENROLL OR GET INFORMATION
MEET OUR DOULA PROGRAM COORDINATOR
Call J. Tranae at: (626) 388-2191 ext. 2 | Email: J.Tranae@motherbabysupport.net
WHY BIPOC PREGNANT WOMEN AND PERSONS NEED DOULA AND MIDWIFERY SUPPORT
WHAT IS A “DOULA”?
- “Doula” (doo-LAH) is a Greek word, which means “woman servant”.
- Doulas are professional childbirth companions who provide physical comfort, education and advocacy skills to women and persons during childbirth and the postpartum period.
- Doulas are also trained to recognize problems of pregnancy, childbirth, postpartum and in the newborn.
- While Doulas do not do anything medical, should a complication or emergency arise during pregnancy, childbirth or postpartum, the Doula can help the family quickly get medical help, potentially saving mothers and babies lives.
- “Doula” (doo-LAH) es una palabra griega, que significa “mujer sirviente,” una Companera de Parto.
- Las Doulas son compañeras profesionales del parto que proporcionan comodidad física, educación y habilidades de promoción a las mujeres y las personas durante el parto y el período posparto.
- Las doulas también están entrenadas para reconocer problemas de embarazo, parto, posparto y en el recién nacido.
- Mientras que los Doulas no hacen nada médico, si surge una complicación o emergencia durante el embarazo, el parto o el posparto, la Doula puede ayudar a la familia a obtener rápidamente ayuda médica, lo que puede salvar vidas a las madres y bebés.
WHAT IS THE COST OF OUR SERVICE?
Our Doulas work on a sliding scale because we believe EVERY family deserves a Doula. Low-income persons and those with Medi-Cal may receive volunteer Doula Support. You must be under 300% of federal poverty level to qualify. Income verification may be required. However, If you have the ability to pay a little (or a lot) more, this will enable our Doulas to continue to reach underserved and hard-to-reach pregnant teenagers and women to provide them with pregnancy care, labor support, breastfeeding support, and postpartum care.
Our fees for Doula Support are $2000-$2500 and include:
Three Prenatal Visits, one each trimester (1-2 hours per visit).
- Includes childbirth education one-on-one sessions (in-person or virtual support due to Covid-19), birth plan preparation and emotional support and advocacy.
Labor and Delivery Support (hospital, home or birthing center, up to 24-hours)
- In-person or virtual support due to Covid-19. Services include physical comfort, emotional support, physical comfort, childbirth education, breastfeeding support, and advocacy. The service is for 24-hours of labor support. We advise our clients to call their Doula when in active labor; by asking your doula to come to you in early labor, you risk using up the 24-hours before you get to active labor, when your doula’s support will be most needed.
Three (1 to 2-hour) Postpartum Visits for up to 8 weeks postpartum ( Visit One: 1-3 days, Visit Two: 1-2 weeks, Visit Three: 4-8 weeks).
- Includes care physical and emotional care of mother, breastfeeding support, assessment for Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders, newborn assessment and referrals as needed. The visits are one hour to two hours in length and do not include meal preparation, laundry, housekeeping, babysitting, etc. If you require full Postpartum Doula Services, that is a separate fee and contract. Click here to learn about Postpartum Doula Support.
For $2500, you can add on one of the following services: group childbirth education classes, private childbirth preparation classes, placenta encapsulation, prenatal yoga sessions or prenatal massage.
Our Doulas are trained in pre- and postpartum massage therapy, prenatal and postpartum yoga, placenta encapsulation, etc. You can add on any of these services by paying at the $2500 level.
DOULA LABOR SERVICES
We offer Labor Doula support on a sliding scale fee. No one is turned away for inability to pay. We are VOLUNTEERS. Please, DONATE! Help provide professional labor support to a family that cannot afford Doula services. Please, pay it forward!
PAY FOR SERVICES (suggested donation): $500 to $2,500
Free Services offered by volunteer Doulas for low-income and Medi-Cal clients.
- Level 1: $2,500 – includes 3 prenatal visits, labor & birth support, and 3 postpartum visits. Also includes one of the following: a private or group childbirth preparation class, breastfeeding education class, 10 pre or postpartum yoga classes, placenta encapsulation, or a 1-hour pre or postpartum massage.
- Level 2: $2,000 – includes 3 prenatal visits, labor & birth support, and 3 postpartum visits + 4-week series of childbirth education classes.
- Level 3 (reduced): $1,500 – includes 3 prenatal visits, labor & birth support, and 3 postpartum visits + 4-week series of childbirth education classes.
- Level 4 (reduced): $1,000 – includes 3 prenatal visits, labor & birth support, and 3 postpartum visits + 4-week series of childbirth education classes.
- Level 5 (reduced): $750 – includes 3 prenatal visits, labor & birth support, and 3 postpartum visits.
- Level 6 (reduced): $500 – includes 3 prenatal visits, labor & birth support, and 3 postpartum visits.
Click on the button below and choose your price level from the dropdown menu!
Make check payable to “AWMNH”. Send check to:
Happy Mama Healthy Baby Alliance
600 Lincoln Ave., #92495
Pasadena, CA 91109
Meet Our Doulas
- 626-388-2191 ext. 2
- 626-388-2191 ext. 2
WATCH VIDEO FROM CHICAGO’S HEALTH CONNECT ONE ABOUT COMMUNITY-BASED DOULAS
ABOUT OUR PROGRAM
- Our organization is a leader in the Community Based Doula movement in Los Angeles County. Since 2010, our organization has been providing community-based Doula support for mostly low-income families of color. However, we work with all families of diverse backgrounds. All are welcome!
- Our organization’s founder established the very first community-based Doula program at Pasadena Public Health Department Black Infant Health Program, which she ran from 2002-2012.
- Our services are offered on a sliding scale basis so that Doula support is available to ALL families. Low-income persons can receive volunteer Doula services.
- If you have the ability to pay, consider donating a bit extra so that pregnant women from disadvantaged backgrounds can receive labor support, breastfeeding help and postpartum care from a Doula.
- Our Doulas have skills and training in a variety of disciplines including herbology, aromatherapy, vegan cooking, Reiki energy healing, yoga, and more. We are also trained in Lactation, Postpartum Care and Childbirth Education. Se Habla Espanol.
- Our Doulas’ experience ranges from new graduates to seasoned Advanced Doulas who work with our higher-risk clients.
- We work on a sliding scale. Persons with Medi-Cal may receive volunteer Doula support. We never turn anyone away for inability to pay–because we believe EVERY family deserves a Doula.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Any family in Los Angeles County, Antelope Valley, Riverside County, San Diego County or San Bernardino County is welcome to participate. We serve families of all ethnic backgrounds, gender identities, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic levels. Low-income families and those with Medi-Cal can receive Doula support free of charge by a volunteer Doula.
ABOUT OUR DOULAS
- Our team members are comprised of Doulas of multicultural backgrounds. If you have a preference for a Doula of a particular race or ethnicity or language capability, let us know. We strive to meet your needs.
- Our ages range from 25-60. We are a diverse team: We are Black/African-American, Latinx, European-American & immigrants, & LBGTQIA+ . We represent the communities we serve, because we ourselves are members of the BIPOC & European-American communities. We are mothers, grandmothers, aunties, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters and spouses. Some of are parents and some of us are not yet dedicated to the well-being and health of pregnant women and persons, their partners, and and their infants.
- We will be your Sister-Friend and hold your hand, wipe away your tears and sweat, and share your triumphs and joys during your journey to motherhood or parenthood.
- Our Doulas’ experience levels range from new grads to seasoned Doulas. In addition, our Doulas have a variety of educational backgrounds and certifications in childbirth education, midwifery, yoga, Reiki, lactation counseling, massage therapy, social work, public health, and other disciplines.
BENEFITS OF DOULA SUPPORT
- Decreased use of pain medication
- Decreased medical interventions
- Decreased rates of induction and augmentation of labor
- Decreased rates of cesarean section and repeat cesarean
- Decreased length of labor
- Decreased maternal depression
- Increased maternal satisfaction with the birth experience
- Increased VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean) success
- Increased breastfeeding success
THE ROLE OF THE DOULA
The Doula cares for women during pregnancy, childbirth and immediately after the birth. The Doula provides non-medical support for childbearing women and persons. Doulas are not medical or midwifery providers and do not perform any clinical skills such as vaginal exams or fetal heartrate monitoring. They do not make any medical decisions. The Doula role is to empower, educate, nurture and protect childbearing persons so they can have satisfying maternity care experiences.
How Doulas Help During Pregnancy
- Educates about fetal development
- Educates about healthy nutrition & exercise
- Teaches relaxation ad mindfulness methods to reduce stress and anxiety
- Gives suggestions for coping with common discomforts of pregnancy
- Discusses options for childbirth, including pain medication options
- Discusses how to avoid an unnecessary cesarean
- Teaches labor coping skills and support methods to birth partners
- Helps client to create a birth plan
- Discusses rights and responsibilities of pregnant women and persons
- Helps client prepare to breastfeed
- Describes newborn appearance and behavior
- Prepares siblings for birth of baby
How Doula Helps During Childbirth
- Provides Physical Comfort and Massage
- Suggests Water Immersion for Pain Relief
- Encourages Vocalization
- Suggests positions that will make labor more comfortable and make labor go faster
Provide Emotional Support
Advocate & Educate
- Help client ask for what she wants in labor
- Explain what the doctor, midwife or nurse wants to do and why
- Inform clients of risks and benefits of medical decisions
- Encourages informed decision-making
- Encourages Informed Consent and Refusal
- Help the client and her partner decide what they want to do
- Provides language interpretation if needed
- Encourages Client’s Religious/Spiritual Practices
- Advocates for Respect of Client’s Cultural Traditions
- Protects Client Privacy and Intimacy
- Ensure each mamababy is treated with kindness, dignity and respect
Recognize & Refer
Doula will educate client and refer to primary medical provider if there are:
- Danger signs of pregnancy/labor
- Danger signs of postpartum
- Danger signs in the newborn
Postpartum Doula Support
- Encourages and offers support to mother in breastfeeding her baby
- Instructs mother on how to care for herself after birth
- Provides emotional support to new mothers and partners or fathers
- Helps with meal preparation & baby laundry
- Teaches new parents how care for baby including bathing, diapering, swaddling, slinging, soothing
- Encourages mother to rest so she can recover from childbirth
- Encourages parents to reflect on their childbirth experience
- Encourages parents to find support if they are feeling sad and blue
- Educates about risks and benefits of newborn procedures (circumcision, etc.)
- Connects families to resources they need (i.e., breastfeeding support groups, prenatal yoga, etc.)
WHAT IS OFFERED IN THE HAPPY MAMA HEALTHY BABY COMMUNITY DOULA PROGRAM
Three (3) one to two-hour prenatal visits will be provided during each trimester of pregnancy. Topics covered in these visits are:
- Fetal Development
- Weight Gain
- Exercise Guidelines
- Information on sexuality during pregnancy
- How the body works during labor
- Pain medication options
- When to go to the hospital
- Labor coping skills for laboring mothers and support techniques for birth partners
- Emotional support and stress-relief methods
- Screening for maternal anxiety and depression will also be offered and referrals can be made if needed
Labor and Birth Support
The Doula will go “on-call” 24-hours a day for the client from 36 weeks onward. When the client goes into labor, The Doula will meet the client at her home or the hospital or birth center. The Doula will provide:
- Emotional Support (encouragement, reassurance, compassion);
- Physical Comfort (i.e., position changes, massage, breathing, relaxation techniques, etc.);
- Informational Support (i.e., information on risks and benefits of medical procedures);
- Advocacy (helping client to speak with her medical providers about what she needs and wants during birth)
- Recognition and Referral (Doulas are trained to recognize complications and emergencies in pregnancy, labor, postpartum and in the newborn and will refer client to primary care provider if needed).
The Doula will provide three (3) one-to-two hour postpartum visits. Doulas will offer:
- Breastfeeding Support for Common Problems & Referrals if Necessary
- Instruct Parents on Newborn Care (Bathing, Swaddling, Diapering, Baby Wearing, etc.)
- Education on Newborn Appearance & Behavior
- Information on Newborn Medical Procedures and Screening Tests
- Instruction on Caring for Mother/Person and Self-Care After Childbirth
- Screening for Perinatal Depression and Referral if Needed
- Support for Father/Partners
OTHER SERVICES OFFERED
Postpartum Doula Services
Postpartum Doula Services are offered on a half day, full day, overnight, weekly or monthly rate. Postpartum Doulas will provide light housekeeping, baby laundry, meal preparation for the new mother, help with breastfeeding issues, newborn care and emotional adjustments to parenthood. This is a separate service and is not covered under Birth Doula Services. It requires a separate contract and additional fees. Click here to learn about Postpartum Doula Services.
Empowered Birth Choices Childbirth Preparation Classes
Pregnant women and persons and their partners are invited to attend Empowered Birth Choices Childbirth Preparation Classes.
The classes meet for 4 sessions, 3-1/2 hours each session once per week. The cost is $350 per couple. Classes are free for Low-Income/Medi-Cal.
Empowered Birth Choices Private Childbirth Preparation Classes
We also offer private childbirth education classes customized to suit families’ budgets and schedules.
Due to Covid-19, classes will be conducted on Zoom until further notice.
Breast Is Best Breastfeeding Education Classes
Join our 3-week series of breastfeeding classes. Learn how to get breastfeeding off to a good start. Offered on Zoom due to Covid-19 until further notice.
Classes and Workshops
Due to Covid-19, all our events and classes are occurring on Zoom. We offer online Childbirth Preparation Classes, lectures, workshops, yoga classes, panel discussions, and Meet the Doula Night–where you can meet and chat with our Doulas.
Email us for the current schedule.
RESOURCES FOR DOWNLOAD
Download PDF: Summary of Literature Community-Based Doulas