International MotherBaby Support
Birth Worker Cultural Exchange Program and Learning Collaborative
Promoting Safe Motherhood Through Training of Birth Attendants
Wholistic Midwifery School is expanding to Africa!
Happy Mamas and Healthy Babies
Mamas heureuses et bébés en bonne santé
Furaha ya Mamm na Watoto walio na Afya
Umu nne nwere obi uto
Ilmaha Caafimaadka Farxsan ee Mamas
Awọn ọmọ inu ilera Ọmọ Mamas
Our International Birth Worker Cultural Exchange Program brings African Traditional Birth Workers (TBA), American Doulas and American and Ghanian midwifery students, American and Ghanian Certified Midwives and Registered Nurses together in a cross-cultural exchange program to share unique maternity care experiences, and support birthing women in the USA and Africa. Projects in development are located in Accra, Ghana, West Africa and Los Angeles, CA, USA.
Our programs, which are currently in development, are aimed to:
Train Birth Workers from Africa and USA in promoting maternal and infant health through birth skills and health promotion. Topics Covered include:
- Human Sexuality
- Family Planning
- Nutrition for Pregnancy
- Prevention and treatment of STDs, HIV and Malaria in Pregnancy
- Working with women who have experienced Female Genital Cutting (female circumcision)
- Supporting Emotional Well-Being During Pregnancy
- Promoting Maternal and Infant Mental Health
- Teaching clients about the Birth Process
- Skills for Supporting Mothers Through Labor & Postpartum
- Father’s Involvement in Supporting Mothers During Pregnancy and Childbirth
We also train Traditional Birth Attendants and Midwives in emergency birth skills such as:
- Respectful care during pregnancy and birth
- Midwifing and supporting waterbirth
- Management of Postpartum Hemorrhage and estimating blood loss
- Helping Babies Breathe (Neonatal resuscitation & life support)
- Management of Shoulder Dystocia
- Management of Retained Placenta
- Suturing and Repair of Lacerations
- Fetal Heartrate Monitoring
Waterbirth Midwifery Care and Childbirth Center
Wholistic Midwifery School is in the planning stages of opening a Waterbirth Maternity Care and Childbirth Education Center in Keta, Ghana, West Africa. We will provide waterbirth in a freestanding birth center provided by skilled midwives and offer training opportunities for African student midwives to have the experience of providing waterbirth to clients.
The International MotherBaby Childbirth Organization
Our work is aligned with The International MotherBaby Childbirth Organization (IMBCO) who has joined forces with the Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) developing a single global initiative to provide guidance and support for safe and respectful maternity care, building upon their previous work and incorporating the most recent evidence and insights into what constitutes optimal maternal and newborn health.
Launched in 2018, this initiative, The International Childbirth Initiative (ICI): 12 Steps to Safe and Respectful MotherBaby-Family Maternity Care provides clear steps for implementing evidence-based maternity care worldwide, acknowledging the interaction between the MotherBaby dyad, Family and Environment as well as their interactions with health providers and health systems. The ICI also supports the implementation of the 12 steps and self-initiated quality improvement mechanisms that can be used to monitor process, effect and engagement in safe and respectful maternity services.
For more information, see 12 Steps to Safe and Respectful MotherBaby-Family Maternity Care, please download here.
HAPPY MAMA HEALTHY BABY ALLIANCE – OFFICE IN AFRICA
Mr. Kennedy Kattah
PO Box CT 311
Cantonment, Accra, Ghana, West Africa