YOU ARE INVITED TO ATTEND A NETWORKING FORUM FOR PERINATAL PROFESSIONALS
Download Brochure: The Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative Los Angeles
Download: The Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative
View powerpoint from November 2012 inaugural meeting: MFCI-Consortium: Nov. 20, 2012
Visit the MFCI-CLAC: http://motherfriendlylosangeles.net
Contact us for the schedule and location
About the Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative Consortium of Los Angeles County
This quarterly forum is an invitation and call to action for Los Angeles community-based organizations, hospitals and clinics who are ready and willing to implement the The Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative developed by the Coalition for Improving Maternity Services (CIMS), a coalition of leading researchers, maternal-infant health experts, organizations and individuals concerned with the health and well being of mothers and infants.
There are four principles and 10 steps of the Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative. To learn more, click here: The Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative The scientific basis for the 10 steps was published in the Journal for Perinatal Education (Winter 2007) to download a copy, click here: http://motherfriendly.org.
These 10 evidenced-based steps to Mother- and Baby-Friendly Care will be discussed and practical applications will be reviewed with for clinicians and administrators who are ready and willing to implement the in their practice settings and to establish the CIMS Mother-Friendly Nurse Recognition Program at their institution.
Who is the Coalition for Improving Maternity Services (CIMS)?
The Coalition for Improving Maternity Services (CIMS) is a coalition of individuals and national organizations with concern for the care and wellbeing of mothers, babies, and families. CIMS’ mission is to promote a wellness model of maternity care that will improve birth outcomes and substantially reduce costs. This evidence-based mother-, baby-, and family-friendly model focuses on prevention and wellness as the alternatives to high-cost screening, diagnosis, and treatment programs. CIMS is a non-profit volunteer organization.
Why is Evidence-Based Maternity Care Important?
- Improvements in Care Quality
- Cost Savings
- Achieving Health Objectives
To engage Los Angeles maternity care stakeholders in a conversation for action to implement evidence-based maternity care in their practice settings, using the Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative (MFCI) as a planning and policy tool.
Purpose of the Consortium Meetings
1) Discuss the benefits of the Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative (MFCI) for hospitals, clinics, mothers, infants, and clinicians
2) Provide a forum for discussion among nurses, doctors, doulas, childbirth educators, midwives, administrators and others on the challenges and opportunities of implementing mother-friendly care in the clinical or hospital setting.
3) Provide a forum for dissemination of evidence-based best practices for maternity care.
4) Support clinics, hospitals and community-based programs in developing plans of action to shift the thinking in their organizations towards mother-friendly care.
Benefits of The Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative for Hospitals, Clinics, Doctors, Nurses and Patients
1) Increased patient satisfaction resulting in better compliance to medical recommendations and improved outcomes
2) Increased job satisfaction among nurses; helps to retain qualified staff and reduce turnover
3) Improvement in quality of care (evidence-based practices resulting in better outcomes for mothers and infants)
4) Cost-savings to hospitals because of shorter labors and less medical interventions
5) For doctors, clinics and hospitals, increased patient satisfaction results in repeat business and word-of-mouth recommendations
Time, Date, Location of Next Meeting
Contact us for details